+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goldring Lenco GL75 fitted with SME arm

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Default Goldring Lenco GL75 fitted with SME arm

Hi Guys

Right i have just found out my stepson's girlfriend 's mum has this deck and was about to take it to the tip NO i said i will have it ' i think it could be a nice project, what do you think.

It looks (from a mobile phone pic ) to be mounted in a custom plinth with an SME 3009 or 3012 not sure ,its defo a SME though ' hopefully going to see it and bring it home later today .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Good one.. I hope it's a 12" SME, in which case you can do what another has done and remove the L75 arm and fittings, neatly and reversibly blank off the holes thus exposed and the look of the deck isn't at all compromised (apologies, I still feel bad about cutting chunks out of the top plate )
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nick.

No question - get it!

I'd love to have another Lenco to play with. The L75 is a great tweaker's machine!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Chris.

well i have finally picked up the GL75 and it has a 3009 ' 9 inch version with a detachable headshell ' its looking very sad and neglected ' the arm and deck are going to need a major overhaul .

The SME bearings seem to have loads of play in them err i am guessing it must be shagged '
    it feels very floppy ' the plinth is home made affair and very resonant .

The GL75 feels like a serious piece of engineering though ' i am going to find out how much SME charge for a refurb 1st .
    Chris

I'm ILOB.

Good luck with the poject Chris The lenco is a lovelly deck when done up well and if it does not cost to much to get the arm fixed the SME will work well with the Lenco
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Chris.

Thanks John

It could take quite a while 'but its a nice collectible item and saved from the local tip 'as that's where it would have gone otherwise .
    Chris

The Goldring Lenco GL75 was the second turntable (with SME arm) I ever had (in the mid '70s) it really was a most simple design and one that gave me a lot of use, I eventually went onto own the Ariston RD11s (again with an SME arm) which was I kept up until '83... ah those were the days!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The old metal-V bearing SME's all had play in the ball-races - easily adjusted (almost) out. The later "improved" arms had a slightly different horizontal ball-race arrangement IIRC.

The knife edges are wonderful for 1 gramme trackers, but the best way to deal with them for MC's is not to chuck the arm as Rob suggests elsewhere () but to use a heavier headshell and get a heavier counterweight to balance it, thus adding loading to the bearings and preventing "chatter". A heavier headshell will almost certainly minimise arm resonances too, as long as you stick to sensible cartridges and heavier counterweights are also available for both series II and II "improved" models to get the weight as near the pivots as possible.

See if you can do some basic arm-refurbs yourself, as SME are firmly in the "boutique" class these days with price-tags to match. At least new and used spares are readily available from various sources.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Chris.

A pic of the arm

having a bit of a nightmare trying to get these onto my pc at the moment ,my bluetooth thingy is playing up al over the place .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris

I'm Chris.

some more
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast