+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 interconnects build offer for all AoS members

I'm Josie.

Hi Brian.

Which way do you make them? Do you make them so the cable reads (as in that's printed on the cable) away from the source so the shield attached at the source end?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi Brain.
    Is this a spelling mistake, or is it the posh way you speak round at yours and you've spelt it phonetically?
    Hah, got there before you edited it
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Josie.

haha...

No... He is 'BRAIN' The keeper of secrets of the mystical shield.

you have the eagle eye my friend... - do you have the kung-fu grip too?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Try it the other way round. It might improve the situation, it might not!
    I've encountered a similar situation in a friend's system - the issue was an earthing one in this particular case, and turning the cable around so the shield connected was at the amplifier end made the difference.

A lot depends on the way grounding is implemented, and a lot of modern(ish) gear is floating ground (ie no mains earth), so there's no absolute reference point.
    Which is why it is a fallacy to state that end where the shield of a so-called semi-balanced cable joins the signal return conductor, should be at the source end. It should be connected to the point of lowest electrical potential in the system, that is the mains earth. If the source is double insulated (and is thus connected to the mains supply with a two-core cable), the case, chassis and signal return will not necessarily be at earth potential. In these conditions the cable needs to be reversed (semi-balanced cables are directional due to their non-symmetric construction) with the junction of the screen/shield and the signal return connected to the preamplifier.

Usually and in practice, it will make no audible difference but in some systems it might. It is one of the reasons why I dislike semi-balanced cables. Either stick to true coaxial cables or use fully balanced types.
    Barry

I'm Brian.

Hi Joe , the shield is not connected at either end so it doesn't really matter which way round you connect the cable . I use mine ( very successfully ) with the writing direction going away from the source . However it won't do any harm to try the cables both ways as you may prefer them going in one particular direction . I think Marco prefers his with the writing direction going towards the source. I'm sure he'll be along soon to confirm his preference .
    I tried the cable with and without the shield connected at the source end and preferred the SQ without the shield connected at all.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Back when I used ATC actives, I never thought to completely remove the shield at both ends. However, I remember with the well earthed AVI preamp, that connecting the shield at this end was sonically preferable (I imagined I could hear a difference and that it was repeatable ). The only excuse I can muster was that the shield pin on the ATC's was coupled to ground via a 47 ohm resistor, so not the purest route?

I think pro convention has the shield lifted at one end or another, but it's academic and I think it's whatever suits you best - as stated so well above
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Kevin.

It was the end of May that the info about the screen on SSC was discussed/publicised, not a few weeks ago.
    This was after I had already soldered up my MC5000 without the shield connected. I took the plug off my SSC just to have a look, and I have to say it's well soldered and very neatly done. I was just surprised to see the shield left floating, just as I had done.

By the way, not connecting a shield is not an "invention", mine came about through laziness just to see how the basic cable sounded.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    It was the end of May that the info about the screen on SSC was discussed/publicised, not a few weeks ago.
    This was after I had already soldered up my MC5000 without the shield connected. I took the plug off my SSC just to have a look, and I have to say it's well soldered and very neatly done. I was just surprised to see the shield left floating, just as I had done.

By the way, not connecting a shield is not an "invention", mine came about through laziness just to see how the basic cable sounded.
    Yup agreed Kevin . I tried the cable with and without the shield connected at the source end and preferred the latter. Not interested in how anyone else does it . I try things for myself and then make a decision .
    Last edited by brian2957; 07-08-2014 at 10:40.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm John.

In environments where emi/rfi is not an issue, un-shielded cables can sound better than their shielded counterparts. I live in a noisy environment where fully shielded coaxial or pseudo balanced terminations are a must unfortunately.

I have a simple test to find out if I need shielded cables or not for my listening environment. I connect both types of interconnects, shielded and un-shielded, at preamp input only and gradually increase volume. In my setup, there's absolute silence without any hiss / background noise/ hum with shielded cables at near max volume, but when I use un-shielded cables like DNM, Nordost Red Dawn / SPM, and Klotz MC5000 with floating shield, there's significant amount of hiss / noise / hum audible from halfway volume, about a foot away from the speakers.
    Townshend Elite Rock Mk2, Delrin platter, Merlin PSU, Excalibur, Discovery Plus 4 tonearm wiring, Benz Wood SL, Roksan Reference DXP SE
    SB Touch, Roksan Attessa DA2 DAC (ATT-DA2), Attessa DS5 PSU (ATT-DS5), Beresford BM2 DAC, Anker Battery
    Roksan L2.5 preamp, ROK DS1.5 PSU, X2 Roksan S1.5 poweramps (passive bi-amping), Neat Ultimatum MFS

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by potatoha View Post
    In environments where emi/rfi is not an issue, un-shielded cables can sound better than their shielded counterparts. I live in a noisy environment where fully shielded coaxial or pseudo balanced terminations are a must unfortunately.

I have a simple test to find out if I need shielded cables or not for my listening environment. I connect both types of interconnects, shielded and un-shielded, at preamp input only and gradually increase volume. In my setup, there's absolute silence without any hiss / background noise/ hum with shielded cables at near max volume, but when I use un-shielded cables like DNM, Nordost Red Dawn / SPM, and Klotz MC5000 with floating shield, there's significant amount of hiss / noise / hum audible from halfway volume, about a foot away from the speakers.
    No surprise there then! What is it that some people have against the use of shielding? Is it a wish to avoid excess capacitance?
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast