Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 interconnects build offer for all AoS members

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Judging by a previous discussion we had I better send quite a few

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm alain.

Hi Brian,

can you send me the price for a 1M pair of MS Audio/Klotz MC5000 interconnects?

Thanks
    Marantz HD AMP 1, Marantz HD CD1 both on Oak Cone feet, Dynaudio Emit M10 speakers on Norstone Stylum Stands with Soundcare Superspikes.
    HiFi in Touch Oak distribution block, RA Mains powerkord 100, RA Yello with Wattgate IECs and MCRU Ag plated mains plugs, Atlas Ascent Ultra digital coax, TQ Ultra Blue speaker cable

I'm Ken.

Hi Brian

Have you ever tried the Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE Microphone Cable?

My application and experience is for balanced leads using XLR connectors, but may carry over to single ended use.

I have been using the Klotz MC5000, sounds great, but the conductors are too big for one of my projects, just won't fit through the holes in the PCB, so I started looking at alternatives and tried the Van Damme.

As a test, I used 1m pair of each, between my Pre-Amp and Power Amp for comparison.

The Klotz is warmer and fuller in the mids, it has slightly softer leading/trailing edges to notes, this can work to its advantage with some recordings, especially vocals. Piano is slightly more realistic.

The Van Damme is more sharply defined, more transparent and with a more focused and prominent sound stage. Its more dynamic and can scare the bejeezus out of you when a loud impact bursts out of no where. Bass is no deeper than the Klotz but seems to have more impact by not being as blurred at the edges. Double bass is slightly more realistic.

It's hard to say which I prefer at this point, as they offer very different presentations.
    Depending on the rest of your set up, you will probably favor one over the other.
    For anyone who is experiencing too warm or lush a sound from the Klotz with their gear, it offers a good alternative, but bear in mind I was using it balanced, so YMMV. At less than £2/M it wont break the bank to try it.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Hi Brian

Have you ever tried the Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE Microphone Cable?

My application and experience is for balanced leads using XLR connectors, but may carry over to single ended use.

I have been using the Klotz MC5000, sounds great, but the conductors are too big for one of my projects, just won't fit through the holes in the PCB, so I started looking at alternatives and tried the Van Damme.

As a test, I used 1m pair of each, between my Pre-Amp and Power Amp for comparison.

The Klotz is warmer and fuller in the mids, it has slightly softer leading/trailing edges to notes, this can work to its advantage with some recordings, especially vocals. Piano is slightly more realistic.

The Van Damme is more sharply defined, more transparent and with a more focused and prominent sound stage. Its more dynamic and can scare the bejeezus out of you when a loud impact bursts out of no where. Bass is no deeper than the Klotz but seems to have more impact by not being as blurred at the edges. Double bass is slightly more realistic.

It's hard to say which I prefer at this point, as they offer very different presentations.
    Depending on the rest of your set up, you will probably favor one over the other.
    For anyone who is experiencing too warm or lush a sound from the Klotz with their gear, it offers a good alternative, but bear in mind I was using it balanced, so YMMV. At less than £2/M it wont break the bank to try it.
    Brian has tried everything, the guy is a cable guru.

I've only liked a single Van Damme cable and that was the Lo-Cap stuff. Their best by far. The Rest (I believe I have tried almost all of their range) have a rather flappy bottom end and indistinguishable mids. Imaging is poor and their overall performance is not what I'd call "good"

Klotz are somewhat veiled and regardless of how well they perform for the money, it's something I couldnt live with once I'd heard better. A good "starter" cable to improve in the "out the box" red and whites.

GAC 1 is muddy in the midst and the bass is bloated. Really didn't rate this stuff at all.

Sommer Carbocab (?) Is much better but more expensive. It's still well within the budget cable market and if I were building budget cables for someone, that's what I'd recommend. Pay a bit more and get a better cable.

RCA plugs, go for MSaudio plugs for budget, AECO for midrange and KLEI harmony or WBT for Sunday best.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Brian has tried everything, the guy is a cable guru.

I've only liked a single Van Damme cable and that was the Lo-Cap stuff. Their best by far. The Rest (I believe I have tried almost all of their range) have a rather flappy bottom end and indistinguishable mids. Imaging is poor and their overall performance is not what I'd call "good"

Klotz are somewhat veiled and regardless of how well they perform for the money, it's something I couldnt live with once I'd heard better. A good "starter" cable to improve in the "out the box" red and whites.

GAC 1 is muddy in the midst and the bass is bloated. Really didn't rate this stuff at all.

Sommer Carbocab (?) Is much better but more expensive. It's still well within the budget cable market and if I were building budget cables for someone, that's what I'd recommend. Pay a bit more and get a better cable.

RCA plugs, go for MSaudio plugs for budget, AECO for midrange and KLEI harmony or WBT for Sunday best.
    Most of these cables are meant for balanced use i.e. two conductors in a screen, which may effect the results, the XKE mic cable is giving me great bass in balanced use. I tried the low cap silver in single ended use and I have a few of the Sommer cables for digital AES use and balanced phono stage leads. Some swear by Mogami, particularly the star quad balanced, but never heard it myself.

Bigman80 Guest

Most of these cables are meant for balanced use i.e. two conductors in a screen, which may effect the results, the XKE mic cable is giving me great bass in balanced use. I tried the low cap silver in single ended use and I have a few of the Sommer cables for digital AES use and phono stage leads. Some swear by Mogami, particularly the star quad balanced, but never heard it myself.
    That's true, different uses will later things but the general characteristics of the cable will remain. If it's working for you then jobs a good un, its saving you a fortune! lol.

I'm Ken.

Had to look up what Spotfire cables were and caught Alan's thread.

Is the make up suitable for balanced use with XLR connectors?

I'm Kevin.

If it is the cable I think it is, it is a balanced cable so would be fine.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Bigman80 Guest

Had to look up what Spotfire cables were and caught Alan's thread.

Is the make up suitable for balanced use with XLR connectors?
    It can be done, as can anything but it's not something I've tried, having no XLR requirements in my system.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It can be done, as can anything but it's not something I've tried, having no XLR requirements in my system.
    My set up is balanced from cartridge tags to power amps and DAC route as well.
    Appart from my DIY active crossover it is all differential balanced circuits.

So a shielded twisted pair is the usual method employed, I use Neutrik gold contact XLR's so nothing fancy there.

I may try the Sommer "CarboKab" though I can't find it on their website and also some Mogami 2534. 1m runs of each to compare with the Klotz and Van Damme I already have. The connectors will cost more than the cable so its just finding the time to make em up and try them.

I thought I was happy with the Klotz, till I experienced a very different sound from the Van Damme, so I am now curious what the other two will bring to the table.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast