+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PCB mods?

I'm Dimitris.

Default PCB mods?

I am currently working on the PSU of my SL1200 MK2, and while it is clear how an external transformer with quality rectifier, DC umbilical and a low noise reg can benefit our beloved turntable, we seem to more or less ignore the rest of the PCB.

My first thoughts was to replace the local decoupling caps C1 and C3

I used a 1500 Panasonic FC at 50V for C1 and a 47uF/25V Pansaonic FR for C3

The improvement was not small

Has anyone tried any other mods on the pcb?

I remember a few years back reading some stuff that would tinker with some thingies, but I could not find them again...

I'm Andrew.

Who says we've forgot the PCB? I had mine recapped years ago and the benefits were very marked. No-one else on the techie band wagon has been bothered to explore this area of modification.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Who says we've forgot the PCB? I had mine recapped years ago and the benefits were very marked. No-one else on the techie band wagon has been bothered to explore this area of modification.
    - see my post http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...pgrade-amp-PSU

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    That reminds me - it is something I should look at. I take it you did not DIY? I'm sure it is not rocket surgery, but my natural clumsiness with a soldering iron may result in a FUBAR unless I get some help.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Dimitris.

Well replacing each cap is one approach
    But they are 38 and it is going to be tedious, and my guess is that not all of them will be that critical, not to mention that we might have to take ESR and/or ESL into consideration as well to make sure we create no problems...

There are only two marked as critical in the service manual. Those are C301 and C302 which are part of the pitch control. I would leave these alone.

I was looking for a more educated opinion on part replacement or modification
    I understand it is offered as as a payed service, but I am more of a hands-on DIYer looking to "play" with my toys

I'm Andrew.

I bypassed the pitch shift although tbh if I could remove it altogether from the pcb I would be happier.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dimitris.

Got any screenshots?
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Andrew.

Nope! And tbh it would mean dismantling the whole 1210 and that's something I aint gonna do.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Dimitris.

Fair enough

I found this reference

"Regarding the pitch control- you can remove and bypass it- unplug the connection of the pitch control wires/plugs and join the 2 center pins of the socket together."
    Do you remember it requiring anything else?

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
    Fair enough

I found this reference

Do you remember it requiring anything else?
    Have a look on ths forum and read all the posts you will learn.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast