+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! I've just bought a Garrard 401!

I'm Andrew.

I'd clean it and apply fresh oil.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    Popped the cover off the motor, some sign of oil in there but not much:

Does this look okay, can I apply some sewing machine oil and reassemble, do I need to check or clean anything else here?
    To gain access to the felt oil reservoir pads the x4 rivets will need to be drilled out, this will allow you to remove the bearing, spring washer. ball bearing and felt reservoir. Due to Age and heat the felt washer will be varnished as will the pours of the bearings (Hindering correct lubrication feed). If you have no means of re riveting the top and bottom plates the best thing to do will be to clean the bushes as best you can and give them a very good soak. You will note the bearing design is ''self centering' in reality this takes a little time once you re assemble the motor spinning the rotor or pulling gently up and down (Whilst spinning it) to find the sweet spot (Quietest running position), getting this part of the alignment correct once lubricated is the key. The nuts on top of the clams tighten the motor and again have their effect on the alignment so the same procedure again, - sometimes a light knock with a rubber mallet or similar on the corners of the motor assists with gaining the sweet spot (Do not over tighten the motor nuts!)
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever.
    www.sellgarrard301.com

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Grail View Post
    To gain access to the felt oil reservoir pads the x4 rivets will need to be drilled out, this will allow you to remove the bearing, spring washer. ball bearing and felt reservoir.)
    Hi Matt, sorry if I'm being stupid but I can't find x4 rivets, when trying to google this I found the following (http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...01-june-17.jpg), amazing restoration btw!
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    Hi Matt, sorry if I'm being stupid but I can't find x4 rivets, when trying to google this I found the following (http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...01-june-17.jpg), amazing restoration btw!
    My apologies (I blame the Cadmium!) 401's have x3 rivets (301's have 4) See circled in pink
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever.
    www.sellgarrard301.com

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Grail View Post
    My apologies (I blame the Cadmium!)

Cheers Matt, thought I was going mad! I've cleaned the bushing and filled with oil, probably won't have another chance to work on this again till the weekend so I'll leave everything soaking till then. Thanks again.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

I'm Paul.

Good find. I bought and restored a 401 quite a few years ago and I still have it with no hankering to change it. Mine had a ropey idler wheel which I cleaned with meths and then put into a sealable plastic bag filled with cooking oil and left it to sit on the hot water tank for a couple of weeks. The lighter oils absorb back into the rubber and restore it. 7 - 8 years later the wheel is still in fine condition. A good service really does help with these machines.

I use a SDS platter on top of the 401 platter and a rubber platter from a Dual 501 on top of that - hey it works for me.
    ~Paul~

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    Mine had a ropey idler wheel which I cleaned with meths and then put into a sealable plastic bag filled with cooking oil and left it to sit on the hot water tank for a couple of weeks. The lighter oils absorb back into the rubber and restore it. 7 - 8 years later the wheel is still in fine condition.
    Great tip thanks Paul.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yo Dazza,

Love the 401 - nice acquisition... When you get a plinth on it, gizza shout and I'll come and have a listen!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yo Dazza,

Love the 401 - nice acquisition... When you get a plinth on it, gizza shout and I'll come and have a listen!

Marco.
    Will do, hoping to get it in a plinth with an RB300 this weekend, just so you're prepared it won't be pretty and it may be sat on the floor I'll see if I can move some stuff around but you know what my lounge is like. May have some free time next week, will be in touch when I know what I'm up to .
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Sounds like a plan, muchacho - look forward to it!

Btw, did you ever get sorted out with some nice ECC82s for the valve output stage on your CDP? If not, I'd recommend these: http://www.tubemonger.com/MAZDA_BELV...MIL_p/1208.htm

Trust me, they'll be quality....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast