+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Help! I've just bought a Garrard 401!

I'm Darren.

Default Garrard 401 Motor Re-Build

Bearings soaked for 48 hours, felt washers soaked for 24 hours time to reassemble.

To replace the rivets I used M2.5 12mm Stainless Steel Hex Head bolts. This will facilitate easier future servicing and they cost me a grand total of £2.55 (and that's only because I ordered 50), far cheaper than a Garrard Motor Bearing Service Kit.

Although they don't look it the heads leave adequate clearance the the rotor.

12mm is the perfect length for the motor housing and can be used on the top housing without fouling the Eddy disc (I forgot to take a photograph of the top ).

Although a visual inspection did not show any wear to the ball bearing rolling it on a flat surface it came to an abrupt stop. I dabbed the top with a dry wipe marker rolled it again (and again and again) and the mark was consistently at the top. I wiped the ball bearing and dropped it into the oil bath with the other parts (really just to insure I didn't loose it) and when it was time for reassemble I rolled the bearing, it stopped and I set the bearing down on top of it insuring the flat stop was at the bottom and the rotor would be sat on a fresh face.

I'l monitor the nuts over the coming weeks and if they're working loose I'll add some thread lock.

A very simple satisfying job, total cost including 2 new felt washer £10.53.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Andr'e.

Good job i just be a bit worried about motor vibration un loosening those nuts in the long term!

What about some Loctite '243' Thread-locking fluid in addition! or some nyloc nuts

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Good job i just be a bit worried about motor vibration un loosening those nuts in the long term!

What about some Loctite '243' Thread-locking fluid in addition! or some nyloc nuts
    Thank you. It has crossed my mind too, I've got the other motor to service now so I'll order some Nyloc nuts too, thanks for the suggestion.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Grail View Post
    Taking the wiring from the 'spring holder' helps to remove vibration transmitted from the motor to the cables to the chassis via the chassis fixed spring. Instead the wiring can be secured to a plate afixed to the grommet isolated plate and run from there - The BBC did similar with the DRD5, as did Westrex as does Bastin
    Thanks for the tip .
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm Brian.

Default Very helpful

Hi guys , just brought a 401 myself , and this thread is so very helpful .

Many thanks !

Brian

I'm Darren.

Hi Brian,

Glad it's helpful and welcome to AoS. What condition is your 401 / plinth / arm etc... and what do you plan on doing to it?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Grail View Post
    Taking the wiring from the 'spring holder' helps to remove vibration transmitted from the motor to the cables to the chassis via the chassis fixed spring. Instead the wiring can be secured to a plate afixed to the grommet isolated plate and run from there - The BBC did similar with the DRD5, as did Westrex as does Bastin
    +1 neat tip, every little helps!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Darren.

Default 634 Days Later.

Now I'm getting into my music listening season i.e. unexpected downtime due to the weather, today I've inspected and serviced the 401 for the first time since the big clean and service on 22/02/2015. I'm very pleased with what I've found, there is no discernible play in any of the nuts and bolts (I never did get round to thread locking them ) no obvious wear and the felt pads are still saturated.

The 401 has not seen 634 days of continuous use, in fact it's seen very little action for the past few months but none the less it's provided many hours of entertainment in that time. It celebrated it's 50th Birthday this year and with a little oil and a couple of felt pads I don't see why it won't see 50 more, Viva la 401!
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm Andrew.

Darren, nice to see you posting again. I hope the 401 gets some usage of Xmas!! I'm still messing around with the 301 when I get time.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011