+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Croft Series 7 monos

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by eksiil View Post
    pleasure, though the picture isn't the best. I have them side by side in a thick DIY rack made out of slabs of wood (I find it significantly improves the sound of valve gear especially). I've also placed little cutouts from a sheet of sound isolation material under the monos' individual feet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g66wq87ccd...8_Pro.jpg?dl=0
    I like the organic approach! I was thinking best to keep the amps separated. Thanks Ahto
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Timothy.

Smile

That is excellent news, James! I was thinking similar thoughts awhile back when another Series 7 amp came up for sale. I almost bought it, but funds were a bit tight at the time. This might be tucked away for future use though!

I also have found benefits with this type of mono bloc in my Naim setup by using two Nap-100 stereo amps this way. I have been doing that with them for a couple years now, and while power ratings are the same, there is a noticeable increase in clarity and drive, an ease to the music(yes, even with Naim amps!) that has made it worthwhile. I have obviously been laughed at several times on a couple of other forums for even suggesting such a thing, yet the same folks will blather on about how wiring transformed their entire system. Go figure.

Anyway, good for you! I may follow you at some point with my Crofts!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    That is excellent news, James! I was thinking similar thoughts awhile back when another Series 7 amp came up for sale. I almost bought it, but funds were a bit tight at the time. This might be tucked away for future use though!

I also have found benefits with this type of mono bloc in my Naim setup by using two Nap-100 stereo amps this way. I have been doing that with them for a couple years now, and while power ratings are the same, there is a noticeable increase in clarity and drive, an ease to the music(yes, even with Naim amps!) that has made it worthwhile. I have obviously been laughed at several times on a couple of other forums for even suggesting such a thing, yet the same folks will blather on about how wiring transformed their entire system. Go figure.

Anyway, good for you! I may follow you at some point with my Crofts!
    I didn't need any more power in my system but as you found the drive and dynamics are better. I also found they improved vocals and I lost some hash or low level distortion resulting in an overall smoother, refined sound. I believe this was as a result of reduced crosstalk.

Two Croft 7 power amps are also a cheaper way of upgrading to monoblocks and if you don't like them you have a spare Stereo amp which can easily be sold on. I am just installing done more electric sockets now as I need more which should also benefit the mono amps.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 13-02-2017 at 21:05.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Timothy.

James, another benefit-or potential one going this route too, could be the possibility of biamping with a pair of the stereo series 7's. Not every speaker if capable may benefit from this, but certainly an option. This has stuck in my mind as a potential for me later on, have been giving thought to moving up to a pair of Larsen 6 which do have the capability of being biamped. Just another thing to try down the road if I go that route. Of course this is another are that gets talked down often, but I do feel as if there can be benefits to be had potentially.

At any rate, enjoy your amps and system, and most importantly, the music!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm James.

James, another benefit-or potential one going this route too, could be the possibility of biamping with a pair of the stereo series 7's. Not every speaker if capable may benefit from this, but certainly an option. This has stuck in my mind as a potential for me later on, have been giving thought to moving up to a pair of Larsen 6 which do have the capability of being biamped. Just another thing to try down the road if I go that route. Of course this is another are that gets talked down often, but I do feel as if there can be benefits to be had potentially.

At any rate, enjoy your amps and system, and most importantly, the music!
    Glenn Croft himself mentioned using the Stereo 7's for biamping so definitely worth investigating in future. He also mentioned a couple of ways of using two Croft 7's as monoblocks.

"You can also use a jumper lead to put the input into both channels and use one channel for the bass and one for the top end if your speakers are bi-ampable. Or you can use a jumper cable to put the input into both channels and link the two positive output together with a short piece of wire - this will combine both channels together to give a bit more power and a lower output impedance."

I'm Timothy.

Interesting, especially that last bit on linking the two positive outputs giving a bit more power and lowered out put impedance. Sounds almost scary...

Usually I am in the camp of buying a better 2-channel amp initially, than doing with lesser and biamping later, but sometimes through good deals or having something laying around that works, you find some improvements that maybe might not have been in the mind originally. I may have to keep my eyes on a good buy for another Series 7, they crop up here every now and then. Worth a punt I think!

I'm James.

Listening again last night Tim and there is definitely greater clarity. I have heard some detail back in the mix on some recordings I was not aware of before.
    Soundstage is also bigger and greater depth back and front. Another aspect that has become increasingly noticeable is the transparency in the system, certainly up a notch.

The improvements are subtle, not massive. From what I have heard I would say if I had listened blind it was if my preamp had been upgraded. The improvements bought by the mono power amps are unexpected and not what I presumed.

I'm Brian.

Sounds like a nice upgrade to an already excellent system James . It will be interesting to see what your planned upgrades to the mains will bring .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Timothy.

Very good James, I would say I had similar results too with my Naims. Subtle yes, but very well worthwhile in the long term listening. I look forward to how things go longer term for you here.

I am curious about your preamp, did you buy your Croft 25R+ right off, or did you upgrade a 25 in steps? I have been tempted to try the 25R, but not sure totally what it would bring to my situation, as I do not utilize the phono stage at the moment, just one input for my source. While I have no doubts it is certainly great, it is more of a matter of utilizing its capability versus the outlay money-wise. Bang for buck? I am totally pleased with the standard 25, no gripes at all, and really, I find it really good. Unfortunately there are no dealers in which I could listen to this, so kind of stuck.

The second Series 7 definitely interests me though, and I may just give this a go in the next couple of months when I have some spare funds(hopefully). Keep us posted!

I'm James.

Very good James, I would say I had similar results too with my Naims. Subtle yes, but very well worthwhile in the long term listening. I look forward to how things go longer term for you here.

I am curious about your preamp, did you buy your Croft 25R+ right off, or did you upgrade a 25 in steps? I have been tempted to try the 25R, but not sure totally what it would bring to my situation, as I do not utilize the phono stage at the moment, just one input for my source. While I have no doubts it is certainly great, it is more of a matter of utilizing its capability versus the outlay money-wise. Bang for buck? I am totally pleased with the standard 25, no gripes at all, and really, I find it really good. Unfortunately there are no dealers in which I could listen to this, so kind of stuck.

The second Series 7 definitely interests me though, and I may just give this a go in the next couple of months when I have some spare funds(hopefully). Keep us posted!
    The Croft 25R was purchased as a standard product. I then had the line stage changed to the RS linestage which has a 12BH7a valve instead of ECC83 and uses non inductive resistors. I then changed all the valves in the phono stage and regulation stage to NOS Tesla E83CC and the linestage valve to a NOS RCA valve. The improvement over a standard Croft 25 is significant.

If you want to upgrade yours Tim to this level maybe contact Glenn Croft himself and he will do the work for you directly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast