+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other suitable cartridges for Rega R200 tonearm

Default Other suitable cartridges for Rega R200 tonearm

What other cartridges go very well with the Rega R200 tonearm?

I'm Dave.

Other Than ???????

Budget is ???

Amp is ???

Amp is a Quad 405/44 pre.

Budget, £300-400. I'm using a DL160, but fancy something thats a bit brighter.

MartinT Guest

Hmm, the DL-160 is hardly dull. You'll probably need to look at the Audio Technica range if you want to keep to high output. How about the AT440ML?

However, firstly I'd investigate why your system sounds less than bright. The Quad combo would be receiving my attention first.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The 44 preamp could sound a little "safe" at times and the 66 which replaced it answered that, although it doesn't "drive" in terms of rhythm unless it's there in the recording (I think it's called "neutrality" or something ).

The 405-2's are fine and I wouldn't touch them, unless the speakers need more control than a bridged amp can offer of course...

There are people who can fettle the 44's cards with more up-to-date op-amps and I understand the sound is improved well by this.

Another point is the R200 itself. Jonny at Audio Origami quoted me £60 or so to replace the external wires on mine (the existing internal ones are fully intact). I think I can do this myself with HiFi Dave's help (my fine soldering skills have long disappeared), but although I argued with Tony L on PFM when he criticised the lateral bearing slop, the fact remains that although the bearings are good quality, there remains a little play even on my Planar 3 derived sample (the Planar 3 R200's had selected arms). When funds permit, I may just bite the bullet and send the arm back for an internal re-wire as well as a bearing fettle (you need special pronged screwdrivers to undo the locking screws internally and I have no wish to knacker them).

Shane, why not try an AT-440MLa. They're not expensive and the crisper, gentler balance may just suit your system better.

By the way, what headshell is the 160 in? if it's the Rega shell, a more rigid Magnesium style one may offer some further improvement...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by speakers-1989 View Post
    Amp is a Quad 405/44 pre.

Budget, £300-400. I'm using a DL160, but fancy something thats a bit brighter.
    ATOC9ML

Within budget and brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by RobHolt View Post
    ATOC9ML

Within budget and brighter.

I'm not keen on that particular Audio Technica cartridge. It Sounds to flat for my liking, although it's brightness might suite my system.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The 44 preamp could sound a little "safe" at times and the 66 which replaced it answered that, although it doesn't "drive" in terms of rhythm unless it's there in the recording (I think it's called "neutrality" or something ).

The 405-2's are fine and I wouldn't touch them, unless the speakers need more control than a bridged amp can offer of course...

There are people who can fettle the 44's cards with more up-to-date op-amps and I understand the sound is improved well by this.

Another point is the R200 itself. Jonny at Audio Origami quoted me £60 or so to replace the external wires on mine (the existing internal ones are fully intact). I think I can do this myself with HiFi Dave's help (my fine soldering skills have long disappeared), but although I argued with Tony L on PFM when he criticised the lateral bearing slop, the fact remains that although the bearings are good quality, there remains a little play even on my Planar 3 derived sample (the Planar 3 R200's had selected arms). When funds permit, I may just bite the bullet and send the arm back for an internal re-wire as well as a bearing fettle (you need special pronged screwdrivers to undo the locking screws internally and I have no wish to knacker them).

Shane, why not try an AT-440MLa. They're not expensive and the crisper, gentler balance may just suit your system better.

By the way, what headshell is the 160 in? if it's the Rega shell, a more rigid Magnesium style one may offer some further improvement...

It's funny you mention the AT-440MLa, as i've been looking at them for a bit. But i've also been looking at the Roksan's new Cours Black cartridge too. I'm tempted to go for it. What HiFi gave it 5 stars

But yes I will keep this AT cart in mind.
    Last edited by speakers-1989; 20-07-2009 at 16:17.

I've been playing all my LPs on a pair of AKG K701 headphones for the last 2 weeks, with a Musical Fed X-Can V2 headphone amp. The headphone amp is hooked up with my Quad 44 pre, and I must say this combo is just out of this world. The Quad 44 and Musical Fed goes very well together.

The Bightness is just the way I like it, the speed and dynamics is prompt and the midrange is very nice. In other words I will describe the sound as ''addictive''.

Lots of you may disagree with me. But I like this kind of sound.

Soon, I might change my speakers. I think the Quad 405 needs a bright sounding speaker, maybe a Tannoy???

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I've PM'd you with a huge thumbs up for Tannoys

The OC9 doesn't sound flat in a bland way - anything but - but does tend to show up records that have been tinkered with when they were cut... The 440MLa will definitely have some character by comparison qand the 150ML may well be the better bet.

Bearing in mind you like the reproduced sound over headphones, I'd find some Eatons as you suggested tome, as they haven't been "discovered" yet and prices are still reasonable. Wait until Devons run out now that Cheviots are climbing in price.....

I also think the T165's may be worth looking out for as long as the stands are well chosen.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast