+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Audio Technica ART1

I'm InSpace.

Time to ring EsCo!...

It needs a re-tip. There's that unmistakable 'edgy buzz' most noticeable on vocals and piano. Some of it is probably set-up, which is a bit rough and ready at the moment, but the tell tale signs are there.

It's not too far gone though and I can tell that I'm going to like this cartridge. Looking at the little trace thing that's in the box there's much less of a treble lift than the other AT cartridges I've had (which isn't many TBH), just a touch of it right at the very top. Bass sounds very clean and detailed too, I'm going to enjoy this once it's sorted.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Mmm...... Did the guy who sold it to you Mikey tell you that it had this problem?

Also, which aspects of the set-up aren't ideal at the moment and how are you differentiating between this and a problem with the stylus?

Jeez, you never seem to be lucky and buy things which are sorted and ready to play music - there's always a faff involved!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Jeez, you never seem to be lucky and buy things which are sorted and ready to play music - there's always a faff involved!!
    That's part of the fun!

I don't go in for this 'plug 'n play' nonsense, that's for pussies!

Yes, I was aware it may need a re-tip and also had the option to swap back if I wanted. But I don't want! All the money from this overtime I've done over the last few days has to spent on something after all!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Neal.

Mike if it needs a retip then you best get it to ESco pronto 'cause you wont see it again until October!

Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm InSpace.

Yeah, I've heard they're pretty busy these days, might have to look at a stand-in while it's on holiday.

EsCo where pretty quick last time I used them though, only about 10 days!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Stupid question to such knowledgeable guys like yourselves, but have you checked the stylus is *really* clean?

Forget those suspension wearing ultra vibrating thingies and either get some of the "green stuff" or the AT609 fluid/brush. My OC9 was traded in for sounding awful (it did), yet a good clean has transformed it, if only staving off the inevitable re-tip at some point fairly soon (I've a diamond-less OC30 I want to do first...).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm InSpace.

Good point, Dave, I'll recheck it.

I really should get my hands on a jewellers loupe or something.
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Dave.

I'll second what DSJR said about cleaning. Give it a bl**dy good scrub and try again.

I had a cartridge once which the customer brought back as part of the whole system. He was ranting and raving about having his money back. The fault was no sound from the left channel and, sure enough, there was nothing at all. In desperation, after checking everything I could think of, I dragged out the stylus cleaner and attacked the stylus. Bingo - the offending channel worked. It was just some gunk on the stylus.

You never know, it might be some clag which is making the AT sound naff.

I'm Geoff.

Old thread but undoubtedly the best cartridge I have either owned or heard.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I'll second what DSJR said about cleaning. Give it a bl**dy good scrub and try again.

I had a cartridge once which the customer brought back as part of the whole system. He was ranting and raving about having his money back. The fault was no sound from the left channel and, sure enough, there was nothing at all. In desperation, after checking everything I could think of, I dragged out the stylus cleaner and attacked the stylus. Bingo - the offending channel worked. It was just some gunk on the stylus.

You never know, it might be some clag which is making the AT sound naff.
    That doesn't make any sense; there just isn't any mechanism whereby dirt on the stylus can take out just one channel. After all, both channels are read simultaneously by the one probe - the stylus.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast