+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beresford TC-7520 Amp vs. Various Amps

Default Beresford TC-7520 Amp vs. Various Amps

Hey guys, I've been lurking around this forum and I've noticed that the Beresford TC-7520 is pretty popular here. I'm also a happy TC-7520 owner and I was wondering if you guys have compared the amp in the TC-7520 to any other standalone amps. Although I'm am very satisfied with the sound of the TC-
    7520 I've been wondering if I could get more out of my AKG K-702s by getting a standalone amp and hooking it up with the TC-7520. The amps I've been looking at to pair with my TC-7520 are...

Gilmore Lite
    Heed Canamp
    X-can V8
    Little Dot MKIV and III
    Darkvoice 336
    Meier Corda Swing

If any of you guys have had any experience with any of these amps I would appreciate your thoughts on them and how they compare to the amp from TC-7520.

Oh, and a question for all you TC-7520 owners, do you guys use the head amp from the TC-7520 or do you use it mostly as a DAC and get a separate headphone amp?

Thanks.
    Last edited by TLY; 15-07-2009 at 03:54.

I'm Werner.

Quote Originally Posted by TLY View Post
    do you guys use the head amp from the TC-7520 or do you use it mostly as a DAC and get a separate headphone amp?
    I use the TC-7520’s built-in head amp. It does an excellent job, so I don’t see the need for a dedicated head amp anymore. I own a pair of AKG K701 headphones. As far as I know the same drivers are used in your K702.

The TC-7520 drives these headphones very well. It is both: a wonderful DAC and a headphone amplifier.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

Seems like a lot of folks are using the 7520 as a headphone amp.Seems the mod forums are full of discussions of which op-amps sound best for the headphone vs the RCA out. Even if the headphone out (a major improvement in the 7520 vs. the 7510 according to Stan) doesn't meet your standards, you'd still get a versatile DAC that's going to provide a high quality analog signal to whatever amplification you employ.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    I use the TC-7520’s built-in head amp. It does an excellent job, so I don’t see the need for a dedicated head amp anymore. I own a pair of AKG K701 headphones. As far as I know the same drivers are used in your K702.

The TC-7520 drives these headphones very well. It is both: a wonderful DAC and a headphone amplifier.
    Mr. Werner, if you are not doing so already, you should make your Yamaha go headless, like this;

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3767

CD
    David

iTunes 7,PowerMac G4 733, Mac OS X 10.4.11, Airport Express, Beresford TC-7520 (Dual LM4562NAs) MLC5/6 clipped, 36K and 100nf cap mod, Behringer EP2000, Cambridge Soundworks Tower II

I'm David.

I bought a nva ap10 @ £260 ... It was great! But it wasn't better than the 7520 - slightly different but not better!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Werner.

David,
    Quote Originally Posted by Codifus View Post
    you should make your Yamaha go headless
    many thanks for this tip! I’ll try it out in the next couple of days and post my impressions.

Kind regards,

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

+ Reply to Thread