+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vokshod 6n23n cryo mini review (6922/ECC88 equivilient)

I'm Alex.

Default Vokshod 6n23n cryo mini review (6922/ECC88 equivilient)

Hi,

Since getting my C-J ET3 preamp, I have indulged in a spate of tube rolling to see what works best in this preamp. I have tried the Electroharmonix 6922 (fitted at the factory), and the Gold Lio 6922 up until now. As you can see, they are basically exactly the same tube structurally, being made at the Reflector factory in Saratov for New Sensor. Having said that, they do sound quite different, with the 6922 being more mellow, quieter, and having less etch in the the mid and upper frequencies.

The GL 6922 costs more than twice as much as the EH 6922. altough whether there are internal differnences in coatings, grids or whether it is just selection that accounts for the difference the plate structure and internals are identical as far as I can see. The GL is a very nice tube - clear and lush sounding, with good bass detail and clear and detailed highs. It sets quite a high standard for others to match.

2014-06-08 11.39.24 by alexmastersuk, on Flickr

The Vokshod 6n23n has quite a different internal structure, and have open plates, rather than a box structure like the EH/GL tubes

2014-06-08 14.43.31 by alexmastersuk, on Flickr

And the sound? flippin' heck!. These are open and clear as a bell. At first I thought they were a little bright, but that seems to disappear quite quickly as they warm up. They image like nothing I've heard, and the mid range detail is outstanding. Bass is clear and firm, and sounds tonally accurate. They have lots of 'air' and space, wheras both Reflector tubes sound a little shut in in comparison. I've decided these are best I've heard in my amp, and so I've ordered another four to sit on the shelf. They are are an absolute bargain, and I'm sure they will work equally well with other 6922-based amps. There is very little noise/tube rush.

If you look at Internet reviews, you will see a lot of hyperbole equating them to the Telefunken ECC803Ca and other unobtainium-type models. I haven't heard them so I can't possibly comment, but this is definately a good sounding preamp valve.

You can get them here - http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=3775 but hurry, they only have 50 left!.

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm paul.

Hi Alex,
    thanks for the nod on these , I have had my eye on them for a while and your opinion has just encouraged me
    to pull the trigger on an octet to try in my Sonic Frontiers pre which is currently equipped with silly price Amperex 7308's .
    cheers
    Paul
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm Alex.

Loo,

A note of caution - I have now tried both of the pair I have, and one of them is microphonic. The mute relay sets it ringing, which I can't live with so I will be sending it back. Strangely it still sounds wonderful, but maybe I am getting an unintended spring reverb effect?.

Silicone rings don't seem to help, so I think the valve is unserviceable.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm paul.

Hi Alex , sorry to hear about the microphonic valve hopefully it's
    Just a duff one that's slipped through , I have paid plenty for microphonic
    Siemens E88CC valves so it's not anything new to me sadly
    Glad the sound is hitting the spot , that's what counts
    Nice Preamp you have got there BTW
    Cheers
    Paul
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm Alex.

Hi Paul,

Let's hope so. I will speak to Derek Rocco @ Watford on Monday and see if he can pick out some good ones for me.

Eight valves? that must cost a pretty penny to keep fed with premium grade 6922s. Which Sonic Frontiers preamp do you have? I googled the line 1 and it looks like a lovely bit of kit.

Regards,
    Alex

I'm paul.

Hi Alex . Mine is the Line 2 it uses six but experience tells me it's nice
    To have a few spare. My Graaf power amp also uses 6922's so a few spare
    Is always nice . Yes finding good affordable 6922 and variant tubes can be
    A nightmare so thanks for your efforts with current stock models it's useful info
    For anyone that has equipment with these valves
    Cheers
    Paul
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm Justin.

6n23p - bought a quad of non-cryod from kwtubes (ebay) for about £25 inc delivery. Rocket logo etc after reading all the great reviews.

I didn't like them personally. Good bass, a bit rough elsewhere. Massively bettered by Tesla E88CCs but they were nearly 5 times the price. The Teslas are very like the Siemens internally and I felt them to be slightly better than a quad of NOS Siemens E88CCs I had borrowed.

The Teslas are crossed sword yellow print gold pins etc etc the cream of the crop jobbies. Trashed some cryod Mullards sonically. Don't cryo small signal or any other tubes. It makes them go microphonic in quite a few cases and I think it is a stupid idea personally. Indeed the Mullards were microphonic because of this I believe. They were never designed to take that kind of punishment, and it can cause leaks and other troubles.

+ Reply to Thread