+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Jumping off the deep end... mounting a Graham tonearm

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - yes, I should've looked, sorry...

Trouble is, when you've got 100s of posts to monitor nearly every day, scan-reading (and often missing things as a result) is unavoidable!

Okies, in that case the comparison should be very interesting. One thing I've found with the SP10 is that, with it being a motor unit only, the quality of its sound is very plinth dependent, and as such one can sometimes dismiss it as being no more than 'average', then hear the very same thing in a different plinth and completely change your mind...

I've compared my own modded Techy against a number of SP10s, some of which have been very good indeed. I still haven't sold my SL-1210 and bought one, though!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jim.

Filling plinth, things placed on it. Looks quite nice so far. Armboard Wenge.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Six months later, Neil, and still no update on how the Grahams sounds (or rather how the Techy sounds with the Graham arm on it).... Tut, tut - you're slipping!

Marco.
    I did write about it in the context of the Funk bearing and FX arm article, but my recent exposure to the AMG Giro has brought it home, quiet soberingly so, that no version, or combination of arms, PSUs or cartridges I have tried to date (note I say this) comes close to what that turntable did. To be honest I kind of feel I have been wasting my time and money chasing the Technics 1200 in the light of that experience. The Giro really was that good, that it makes all my other analogue playback sound broke, and lacking.

So where I sit now is I intend on winding my involvement with the 1200/1210 down soon, keep one, a best of the bits, PSU etc and move the other bits and bobs on.

I have made a few movements recently in reference to upgrades by getting my Oracle Delphi brought up to date by the addition of mk6 parts - with Coherent now - moved on a CD/sacd player in exchange for a new arm which I intend to try on the Delphi.

But if finances had permitted I would in hindsight, should have bought an AMG Viyella or a Giro.

As a last involvement over the next few weeks I will finally be putting the Technics project to bed with a few more articles and then I will move on from it.

Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post

Very nice, I wish I had a black and silver Graham rather than the gold version..

Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I did write about it in the context of the Funk bearing and FX arm article, but my recent exposure to the AMG Giro has brought it home, quiet soberingly so, that no version, or combination of arms, PSUs or cartridges I have tried to date (note I say this) comes close to what that turntable did. To be honest I kind of feel I have been wasting my time and money chasing the Technics 1200 in the light of that experience. The Giro really was that good, that it makes all my other analogue playback sound broke, and lacking.

So where I sit now is I intend on winding my involvement with the 1200/1210 down soon, keep one, a best of the bits, PSU etc and move the other bits and bobs on.

I have made a few movements recently in reference to upgrades by getting my Oracle Delphi brought up to date by the addition of mk6 parts - with Coherent now - moved on a CD/sacd player in exchange for a new arm which I intend to try on the Delphi.

But if finances had permitted I would in hindsight, should have bought an AMG Viyella or a Giro.

As a last involvement over the next few weeks I will finally be putting the Technics project to bed with a few more articles and then I will move on from it.
    No worries, mate. Wish I lived nearer, so I could bring my own Techy round and compare it with the AMG. I love doing these types of comparisons!

Do bear in mind, however, that you could've simply lucked out on the 'perfect T/T', which in reality simply marries best with your existing kit and your particular sonic proclivities, rather than it being technically/factually the best. I'm not saying that's the case (as I don't know) but it's possible.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

That SP10 looks very sexy indeed, Jim!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post

That's a bit of an understatement - it looks fabulous! Love the black SP10 - did you change the colour yourself, or did it come as an option?
    Barry

I'm Andy.

Jim, l can only echo other folks posts- that SP10 looks stunning!
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No worries, mate. Wish I lived nearer, so I could bring my own Techy round and compare it with the AMG. I love doing these types of comparisons!

Do bear in mind, however, that you could've simply lucked out on the 'perfect T/T', which in reality simply marries best with your existing kit and your particular sonic proclivities, rather than it being technically/factually the best. I'm not saying that's the case (as I don't know) but it's possible.

Marco.
    Very much aware of that possibility that's why I said 'so far'. Yes indeed a Giro shoot out vs your Technics would be interesting.

Anyway the guy who owns it is a very lucky individual and its going to be awhile before I can exorcise the memory of how good the Giro was.

Regards Neil

I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Love the black SP10 - did you change the colour yourself, or did it come as an option?
    My brother in law owns an automotive paint and body shop, so I sent it off to him. It was pretty rough with corrosion, they refinished it beautifully. I really, really like the black.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678