+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Jumping off the deep end... mounting a Graham tonearm

I'm Jim.

Now that I've had a few days to listen to it, the Benz is wonderful. A very different presentation than the Denon, less audiophile buzzword, and very much more real.

I also have not done anything about proper loading, and will need to wire in a pot across the phonostage input to find the magic operation point. I expect for there to be another significant change once that is done.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Jim.

I've gotten the chance t play with the loading of the Benz-Scheu, I'm rather amazed, as changing from the stock 47K and down to 1K is like hearing another cartridge. Seriously. Very different presentation. (I also quite seriously doubt that 47K was anything close to optimal...)

Had you told me you changed carts I would have handily believed you.

That said, I suspect it needs a bit more resistance, 1K seems a touch hot, I'll try 1.2K next, and then 680ohm to make sure things are genuinely moving in the direction I suspect.Failing that I'm just going to wire a 5K pot across the inputs and twist until I'm happy, then remove it and replace with a resistor of that value.

The next phonostage project (SYclotron "His Master's Noise") is transformer input, so loading will be something else all together...

P.S., through a series of interesting, and somewhat unexpected events, I have not one, but two SP-10 Mk2a coming this next week. The deep end has gotten even deeper.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Jim.

I finally got around to mounting the new top plate of the armboard, with the platter radius re-cut. It looks great!

You can see here the difference between the old and the new.
    Last edited by 6L6; 12-09-2014 at 02:16.

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
    I finally got around to mounting the new top plate of the armboard, with the platter radius re-cut. It looks great!

You can see here the difference between the old and the new.
    Nice! A panned out shot, please? This is great.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Jim.

Sure -

My table is in a built-in closet shelf, that's about the best I can do for photos.

I'm Neil.

Thanks to Jim, who supplied me an armboard I have been able to take my Graham 2.2 of my Oracle Delphi to night and fit the Graham to one of my Technics 1200s.

Opportunity arose as I wanted to try my SME5 on my JBE Slatedeck, lifted it out of storage yesterday, cleaned it and oiled the slate today, set speed and arm up. That left the Technics minus an arm so I fitted the Graham. No idea how it sounds yet, too tired to check it out now, but I will tomorrow, and I will post some photos.

Thanks to Jim once again, for having a spare armboard made, when he had his second one made. Jim you are a gentleman

Regards Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 25-01-2015 at 02:38.

I'm Jim.

I'm chuffed to bits that somebody had a spare Graham to mount to an SL! Having a spare armboard made was my pleasure.

Sincerely looking forward to seeing some photos and hearing of your impressions. I'm sure you'll love it.

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
    Sincerely looking forward to seeing some photos and hearing of your impressions. I'm sure you'll love it.
    +1

As we say downunder: Good on yer mate!
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Neil.

A few teaser photos, taken while setting it up last night. I will post more later.

Regards Neil

NB All photographs Copyright Adventures in High Fidelity Audio 2015 (no unauthorised copying or reposting)

I'm Nodrog.

The gold on the arm seems the least of the slight colour overkill. There are always the shades I guess

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast