+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: What is so special about vintage Tannoys????

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    +1 re the Quads. The midrange is sublime. I too can sometimes get the feeling that my 15MG's just dont sound right after a session with my ESL57's but then the 57's cant do grandiose pomp and ceremony like my 15"MG's!

Again +1 my 15MG's were transformed when I got my XO sorted by Paul @ RFC and TBH I dont feel my MG's are firing on all cylinders as I still have them sitting in Lancaster cabs. This is something I will be addressing in the new year.

Has anyone else tried Croft Preamp and Radford power amp? I think this combo works better than Radford pre and power (only IMHO). This combo seems to give the most lifelike and laid back presentation of John Coltrane than I ever heard. Fantastic if you've had a bad day.
    I was using the same combo for a couple of Years, Very very good, Lots of Synergy going on.
    If you get the chance Try a Benchmark DAC 1 HDR as a Pre into your Radford, it cleared up many of the Problems Id Blamed on my York Cabs, also Try Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables, they work great with the Tannoys
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by tannoy man View Post
    I was using the same combo for a couple of Years, Very very good, Lots of Synergy going on.
    If you get the chance Try a Benchmark DAC 1 HDR as a Pre into your Radford, it cleared up many of the Problems Id Blamed on my York Cabs, also Try Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables, they work great with the Tannoys
    Paul,

Thanks for the confirmation my lug'oles are working to reasonable capacity!! I dont think i'll be swapping the croft just yet, I will probably go up the valve hierachy at some stage with maybe something from Nick Gorham and even a couple of Croft 7RS monoblock. Thanks for the suggestion for speaker cable but TBH i'm happy with £3.50 a meter black Rhodium. It work a treat, I no longer subscribe to paying lots of money for cables. My next purchase will be a set of Tannoy Lockwood cabs or alternatively getting a pair made up.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm paul.

Sounds like a Good Plan re the Abbey Road, I had Used a very good Mission multistrand since the 1980"s and this £200 used Purchase changed my Perceptions
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

I'm Dan.

This is not about vintage Tannoys but about the I8 professional i have been offered a pair in white for a fair price from a local lighting/audio shop wondering weather to add them to the tannoy collection?

SCRAP THAT THE GUYS SOLD THEM
    Last edited by dantheman91; 07-10-2016 at 07:56.
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Front Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Rear Satellite Loudspeakers
    Wharfedale DX 1

I'm Geoff.

You didn't miss out on anything too special Dan.

The i8 is an older paper coned tulip waveguide model with limited bass extension. The i6 (dual concentric) is a far better sounding unit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gordan.

i have a pair of K3808 (i rate quite highly if used properly), one of the drivers has a slight damage of the surround. i don't think it affects the sound but it would be nice to fix it.

anyone has a clue if there's a supplier of tannoy vintage treated cloth surrounds? i guess this may be a hard task since these are timeless, if you take care they preserve an elasticity (Fs can rise quite significantly if they get stiff).... these are from 1981 me thinks.

btw, also, if anyone has a clean pair for sale please let me know. cheers!
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112