+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mail On Sunday vinyl feature

I'm Shaun.

Default Mail On Sunday vinyl feature

Has anyone seen the Mail On Sunday's 'Live' magazine feature on vinyl production in the UK. It was a very interesting article on 'real' music reproduction and how it is thriving.

I'm Steve.

Want to read it online?

Go here:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/home/m...oove-back.html

Steve

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveTheShadow View Post
    Want to read it online?

Go here:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/home/m...oove-back.html

Steve
    Thanks Shaun and Steve for that.

"Sound quality matters".....lets hope that those words, if nothing else hit home. Very interesting read, and all test pressings are auditioned via a Garrard and Tannoy speakers..... I wonder what the electronics are.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A Garrard direct drive? The only direct drive Garrard of sufficient vintage would have been their first design. I doubt it was that. Suspect it was a 301 and the reporter for the Mail got it wrong.

Thoroughly agree about the art work. Regardless of what one thinks about the sound quality of CDs; that horrid little booklet they fit into the equally horrid jewel case, is no vehicle for the wonderful artwork that was on the LP sleeve. I'm sufficient an anorak, that I have four or five books on LP sleeve artwork.

And CDs don't smell like vinyl either!
    Barry

I'm Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post

And CDs don't smell like vinyl either!
    Ah yes the great smell of vinyl, one guy likes it so much he maned a record label after it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smells_Like_Records

ps; check out the link to the Lee Hazelwood section.
    Last edited by REM; 12-07-2009 at 16:08. Reason: Added info

I'm Shaun.

I like the way they are quoting ownership of a tangible piece of art over an MP3 download as a reason for youngsters getting into vinyl. The cardboard sleeve, the artwork and the need to spin the disc between your hands is a damn good reason for getting into vinyl. As has been said, how can a nasty little booklet and a cheap polycarbonate case compare...???

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    The cardboard sleeve, the artwork and the need to spin the disc between your hands is a damn good reason for getting into vinyl.
    Absolutely. I've been getting into indie 7" and flexi-singles recently. The DIY artwork and labels, and the 'uniqueness' of them is a real attraction not found in other media (though mini-CD's do have a certain something too ).

I also like vinyl that came in wrap-around paper sleeves, poly bags and the like. There's definite pride of ownership with things like that.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    A Garrard direct drive? The only direct drive Garrard of sufficient vintage would have been their first design. I doubt it was that. Suspect it was a 301 and the reporter for the Mail got it wrong.
    401 actually. And Mrs. B was highly amused at me swearing at the very same statement!

UPDATE - had a closer look at the picture online and it appears it ISN'T a 401. I'm intrigued now..........
    Last edited by Beobloke; 14-07-2009 at 10:57.

+ Reply to Thread