+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Epping TT Bake off (from pfm)

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

This is something I would also like to know. I did ask earlier

Pete?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I heard them at a show once - not the best place, but I remember them being clean as a whistle, lively and crisp - a bit like "sorted" early Royds - no baffle correction, so "fast" and bright.....

The main issue with many LP12's is the boingy and resonant plinth the chassis is fitted into. It's this that causes the unpredictable sound on non-kosher surfaces IMO. The post 1985 plinths with the huge corner-fillets helped a heck of a lot, along with the other developments over the decades. The Lp12 has always been a delicate balancing act - "cure" one problem and you shift it somewhere else. It wouldn't surprise me if the original Ariston RD11 version with ribbed sub-chassis and heavier platter may just work better with jelco style arms. I'll never have the chance to find out unfortunately..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I heard them at a show once - not the best place, but I remember them being clean as a whistle, lively and crisp - a bit like "sorted" early Royds - no baffle correction, so "fast" and bright.....
    Jeez, Dave, if they sound anything like that then they would most certainly not be my thing. Almost everything seems to sound "fast and bright" or "crisp" these days.

I've got nothing against those traits, per se, but we seem to have lost the way somewhere. What happened to realistic tone and timbre as being a priority?

I listen to my vintage Tannoys with all types of music and they possess ALL of the above attributes to make music sound convincing and natural, not just a sonic signature which majors on an impressive 'hi-fi' type of sound.

I wonder where the current (seemingly) preferred forward and 'up-front' nature of the voicing of loudspeakers, and all other modern components in my experience, originated from?

I mean, at what point did designers or manufacturers think 'let's ditch the natural warmth and tonality that makes voices and instruments possess the requisite depth and 'body' to sound real, and concentrate on a forward, brightly-lit, treble-emphasised sound which makes voices and instruments sound thin, processed, and nothing like they do in reality'?

For me in many cases, that's what has happened.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Having heard them extensively, it's horses for courses of course, one mans meat etc
    Big Tannoy's are certainly my horses for the course though.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

So how would you describe their sound, Steve? I'm genuinely interested

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Marco, ignoring NVA's old speakers for a minute, I think it fair to say that modern speakers have to live in real world small living rooms, up to the wall and maybe even in corners. the move towards WAF small drivers in narrow enclosures hasn't helped.

What has also been a thing with the uninitiated is the "loudness switch" balance, brought to its ultimate by Pro-Ac in many of their models. A boom and thud in the bass, coupled with a sting and fizz in the treble makes for an initially great first listen for many - why do you think Bose is so popular?

RD's speakers will be as crossover-less as possible and tonal abberations will be secondary to the hair-raising speed and lack of smear they should reproduce. remember that other simple designs like the Epos Es14's actually had a VERY carefully designed bass unit that was initially voiced for open-space mounting and then changed for the Linn/Naim market in which they were so successful. It's credit to Robin Marshall that he knew what to do to make the changes (as Tannoy have done over the decades with the DC concept - I bet you wouldn't care much for the screaming Dimension models I heard a few years ago - OUCH!!!!!!!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    1 - a simple fact of resonant frequency.

2 - it is a statement of fact, again resonant frequency.

3 - due to the peculiar way you reply, for me it makes it impossible to reply to you sensibly, as nothing is congent to the content. Without going backward and forward to the old post I haven't a clue what I am answering. And your post is so disjointed and a mish mash of questions and statements and sometime about a page long and full of demands.

4 - well that is your problem not mine!
    Richard - things in general do not just vibrate at one frequency. Sure, they will vibrate most at the resonant frequencies but they will vibrate at other frequencies too.

Also, just because a frequency is too low to be heard (such as the resonant frequency of a concrete floor) doesn't mean that vibrations at that frequency won't have a detrimental (or possibly positive!) effect on things which are beig vibrated as a result. When you rock a baby to sleep, the frequency of the rocking cannot be heard but it certainly has an effect on the baby.

Simon.
    System 1: Marantz CD6000OSE, Beresford TC-7520, Marantz PM6010OSE, QED QNect II interconnect, Dual CS505 Mk3 turntable with Audiotechnica AT110E cartridge, Denon DRM-700A cassette deck, biwired B&W 685 S2 speakers on sand-filled Atacama SE24 supports.
    System 2: Marantz M-CR610, JPW Gold Monitors, Chord C-Screen speaker cables, NAS drive.
    System 3 (portable): Cayin N3
    My website: Foxysounds website
    My music: Foxysounds music

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345