• 8 out of 10

2 18.18%
  • 9 out of 10

1 9.09%
  • 10 out of 10

1 9.09%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 147: 27/05/2014: The Velvet Underground - Loaded (1970)

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club - Week 147: 27/05/2014: The Velvet Underground - Loaded (1970)

Paul (Loo) has been patiently waiting for his turn at Album Club after a bit of a cock up on the organisation front. It should have been last week and the mix-up was entirely my fault. So apologies to Paul in addition to thanks for providing us with his choice of album for the week.
    As usual, please listen to the entire album before voting.

The Velvet Underground - Loaded (1970)

Hello, this time round I have chosen the classic The Velvet Underground Loaded

The album on Grooveshark. (This is an expanded version - tracks 1 - 10 constitute the original release).

Loaded was the Velvet Undergrounds fourth Album released in November 1970 and probably their most commercial effort.
    The Title comes from Atlantic records asking the band for an album loaded with hits, and Lou Reed certainly showed he could write a catchy tune or ten, every track is a songwriting masterclass.

The Velvet Underground on the Wiki.
    The album on the Wiki.

I hope you all enjoy it.

Cheers
    Paul

I'm David.

One of the great things about Spotify is being able to re-explore things you've not heard for years and to listen to albums that you always meant to hear, but never got around to. The Velvet Underground is one of the groups that passed me by first time round. Given how influential they're supposed to be I must say that, for me, they in no way live up to the hype and expectation. Lou Reed must have one of the most ridiculous voices in rock. Personally I've always found British and European music of that era far more innovative than much of what came out of the USA;
    Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (1970)
    Soft Machine - Third (1970)
    Faust - first album (1971)
    King Crimson - Lizard (1970)
    Can Tago Mago (1971)
    So it's a 2/10 from me

I'm Mike.

6/10

Good enough to buy.
    I find there are really great tracks of theirs scattered around the albums

My first Velvets LP was The Story of ... with the wonderful Sister Ray - not for the faint hearted.
    The Velvet Underground & Nico has that but also the not funny to me "The gift"
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Barry.

I know the album cover well enough but never inquired about its contents, although I do have "Sweet Jane" on a best of type album.
    Its starts off pretty good but I find a few of the later tracks so-so but it finishes with a cracker of a song the Hey Judesque "Oh! Sweet Nothing" which on its own is enough for me to try and find an original vinyl copy , 8/10.

I'm paul.

Firstly I must apologise for the cant be arsed introduction ,I had to submit my choice shortly after out cat passed away so I was not really focussed
    on my Album club entry .
    Glad that Baz and Mike got something from it , Mike the Album with sister Ray and the Gift is white light/white heat another gem
    Sorry to Mr Sneff I guess after 44 years it was never gonna live up to expectation, I will ignore the Lou Reed comment
    Well if ever I needed a 9.9 on the pole this is it ,Just cant quite justify 10 so its a big 9 for me
    cheers Paul
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by loo View Post
    Firstly I must apologise for the cant be arsed introduction ,I had to submit my choice shortly after out cat passed away so I was not really focussed
    on my Album club entry .
    Glad that Baz and Mike got something from it , Mike the Album with sister Ray and the Gift is white light/white heat another gem
    Sorry to Mr Sneff I guess after 44 years it was never gonna live up to expectation, I will ignore the Lou Reed comment
    Well if ever I needed a 9.9 on the pole this is it ,Just cant quite justify 10 so its a big 9 for me
    cheers Paul
    Expectation was maybe the wrong word, but I certainly found it disappointing and ordinary. I wouldn't be too dismayed at the Lou Reed comment if I were you, there aren't many male vocalists that I really rave about, I much prefer female vocalists. Now, when it comes to the Velvet Underground the best thing to come out of the group was (an it's only an opinion of course) was Nico. The Marble Index is an extraordinary record which sounds as fresh today as when it was first released. This is not only because of Nico's voice but, in no small part, because of John Cale's arrangements.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Agree entirely with Dave!

Too commercial and and a big disappointment. I love their early stuff: 'White Light White Heat' and the "banana" album, but this is pretty anodyne, save for the track Mary Jane.

Sorry 5/10, and that's being generous.
    Barry

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Album Club View Post
    The Velvet Underground - Loaded (1970)
    A classic for me... I've been a velvets fan since the early 90's and saw them in London in 93. I have every album... Loaded is a superb spin - Yes it's more commercially tuned but Doug Yule did a great job in the space of John Cale. It's more like a Lou Reed album in a way, I like it.

10/10
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm paul.

Wow thanks Joe my first ever Album Club 10. I totally agree about Doug Yule he
    Wasn't too bad on the drums either standing in for Maureen Tucker.
    Sorry it wasn't for you Barry , isn't Mary Jane a euphemism for grass though
    Cheers
    Paul
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

I'm Josie.

no probs... 'Sweet Jane' is a top track, what a riff and love 'Train round the bend' too... it chugs along superbly.. great album.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast