+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resonance of case affected audio

I'm Bruce.

Default Resonance of case affected audio

20 years ago I had a Theta transport which performed heads and tails above anything I could find in its price class... and then the laser went out and had sadly gone out of production, with lesser replacements on offer. Before the Theta betrayed me, whilst looking inside one day, I found something that caused the music to take on a much greater sense of natural, analog-like ease that I'd not heard out of a digital in the 90's, without giving up any detail or definition. The cause was removing the case top. I had previously applied bitumen damping to the cover, which reduced some ringing and increased the sound stage. But removing the cover altogether was a revelation. Unfortunately at the time I could not think of a good solution to keep dust et al away from the transport drive and electrics. And I was a little concerned about health and safety. So I reluctantly screwed the cover back on.

It could have been a resonant interaction with the mechanics of the transport, and/or it could have been an interaction with some of the components on the PCB.

Reminded of that today, I wonder if my preamp would also respond well to removing or isolating the cover from the rest of the case. So I may try putting a thin layer of rubber between the case top and the main structure, screwing down only lightly. Since the cover wraps around on the sides, that will mean the side screw holes will not likely line up and will need to leave those unfixed.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Geoff.

That's an odd story Bruce. I've never tried using gear with metal covers removed, but some manufacturers like NVA and DNM use non metal casings, so maybe there's something in it.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend completely isolating a metal cover. There may be an earthing issue and that could impact on safety.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brucew268 View Post
    20 years ago I had a Theta transport which performed heads and tails above anything I could find in its price class... and then the laser went out and had sadly gone out of production, with lesser replacements on offer. Before the Theta betrayed me, whilst looking inside one day, I found something that caused the music to take on a much greater sense of natural, analog-like ease that I'd not heard out of a digital in the 90's, without giving up any detail or definition. The cause was removing the case top. I had previously applied bitumen damping to the cover, which reduced some ringing and increased the sound stage. But removing the cover altogether was a revelation. Unfortunately at the time I could not think of a good solution to keep dust et al away from the transport drive and electrics. And I was a little concerned about health and safety. So I reluctantly screwed the cover back on.

It could have been a resonant interaction with the mechanics of the transport, and/or it could have been an interaction with some of the components on the PCB.

Reminded of that today, I wonder if my preamp would also respond well to removing or isolating the cover from the rest of the case. So I may try putting a thin layer of rubber between the case top and the main structure, screwing down only lightly. Since the cover wraps around on the sides, that will mean the side screw holes will not likely line up and will need to leave those unfixed.
    Hi Bruce, I have heard that valve pre amps in particular do benefit from being used without casing. Not tried it myself as I don't want to accidentally go up in puff of smoke.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Deleted.

I've just replaced the cases housing my phonostage with acrylic and their seems to be a sonuc advantage over the previous aluminium - this may be a resonance issue, an eddy current issue, or just my fancy (not decided yet).
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

Default Resonance of case effected audio

I'm having a nice listen now and it definitely sounds better - which is odd as all I have done is replace the aluminium sleeves of the cases with acrylic and moved the two halves (it's mono in two cases) 40mm further apart. This is just the main circuit - all the power supply is in two more cases and they are a metre away already!

Edit: or, as ventilation is better, the DC thermal drift is better controlled - could be that.
    Account Deleted

I'm ChrisB.

Despite being held down against almost spring-like tension with about 12 screws, my pre sounds better without it's lid on. I never tried it without the identical bottom cover removing though. The Radford is also improved by the lack of it's box-like transformer cover, but I don't have the recklessness to try to risk the potential consequences of doing either long term.

I'm Deleted.

Why is there 'spring like tension', is the lid bowed?
    Account Deleted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I'm having a nice listen now and it definitely sounds better - which is odd as all I have done is replace the aluminium sleeves of the cases with acrylic and moved the two halves (it's mono in two cases) 40mm further apart. This is just the main circuit - all the power supply is in two more cases and they are a metre away already!

Edit: or, as ventilation is better, the DC thermal drift is better controlled - could be that.
    I believe that Anthony TD, in a discussion elsewhere about acrylic casing, said something along the lines of acrylic making an excellent insulator, or something like that. I can quiz him again on it, if you like? There were certainly sonic reasons why he built his Soul amplifiers with acrylic cases.

Btw, what's with this 'effected' pish (not just you, incidentally)? It's affected!! Honestly, wot skoolz did yooz lot go to?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Why is there 'spring like tension', is the lid bowed?
    Yes, it's a sheet of metal, perforated except for a solid border and with a very slight curve in it, only becoming apparent when you begin removing the fastening screws. The apex of the curve runs across the width of the unit and I fasten the front and back of it against the tension, rather than pulling the centre down, as it would be it it were flipped over (if you follow me).

I'm Deleted.

It's because I'm typing on my phone and I can't properly see the predictive text doing it's annoying thing - happy?

I'm (well) aware of acrylics properties - it a reasonably good insulator (both of electricity and of heat) but that isn't the reason DNM used (may still use) it for their cases - I've already alluded to that - eddy currents - induced magnetic fields in non ferrous materials. This phenomena definitely exists but whether it is generated in an amplifier and whether it is relevant in this context are different issues.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast