+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm a lucky boy - new C-J ET3 preamplifier.

I'm Alex.

As far as I know, a phase inverting preamp is designed that way as it permits one less stage in the signal path, theoretically improving sound quality through a simpler circuit. Most CJ preamp seem to be phase inverting - not sure if this is a 'tube' thing or whether it is common with solid state preamp also.

The user manual suggests reversing polarity of the speaker cables with a phase - correct power amp, and suggests that there is a significant SQ benefit. Mine is, so I follow their advice, although I haven't experimented extensively to see if this is so.

I like the Gold Lion 6922 very much, not least because it is a very quiet tube. I am also about to try some cryo treated Voshkod 'Rocket' 6N23P - hope they are good... have a very good rep and are cheap. I got them from Watford Valves, and have always had a good experience with what they supply.. tested for noise, microphonics and have closely matched triode sections. If they work well, I'm going to buy a few more to set aside while they are still available!.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Alex.

P.s. I am using Ei 12AX7s in the phono stage, and I have to say that they are also pretty awesome. Apparently you will have a hard time getting low noise/low microphonics Ei 12AX7, but if you do they are some of the best sounding around, with some comparing them to top notch Telefunkens. I don't know about that but they seem to have great detail, a defined but smooth treble and good balance from top to bottom. Might be worth finding a seller who screens and selects them as they aren't pricey.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Phil.

thanks for that , very helpful
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread