+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a lucky boy - new C-J ET3 preamplifier.

I'm Alex.

Default I'm a lucky boy - new C-J ET3 preamplifier.

Yes, indeedy, I am a happy chappy... I have upgraded my C-J PV15 preamp to a C-J ET3.

2014-05-22 15.49.35 by alexmastersuk, on Flickr

The ET3 is a simplified dervative of the circuit in the statement GAT preamp - circuit topology is similar, but without the expensive and complex power supply arrangements, and very high end resistors, capacitors and other passive components. The line stage uses a single 6922 for voltage gain, and a MOSFET buffer to ensure a low output impedance. The gain seems to be quite a bit higher than my PV15 - maybe this is because no feedback is used. Volume control is by relay controlled resistor ladder, and the preamp has full remote control.

There is a seperate MC phono board using 3x 12AX7s that is a close relative of the TEA1 stand-alone phono stage that can be seen on the left hand side of this picture

2014-05-22 16.11.36 by alexmastersuk, on Flickr

First impressions - wow! the ET3 blows the doors off my PV-15. I had quite high expectations, but it really is quite a big step up. I think that it is true what they say that you don't know how good the rest of your system can sound unless you have a top line pre-amp.

Listening to the SB Touch via the Cambridge Audio Azur 851C CD/Dac, first impressions are that the soundstage is now W-I-D-E, extending well clear of the speakers, and and appreciable height and depth. On acoustic recordings you can really get a sense of a group of musicians performing in a space and being able to hear what was only hinted at - echos and reverberation cues give a spookily realistic sense of a being in a defined volume of space.

High frequency detail is outstanding, clean and crisp, and this is the best that I've heard cymbals from a digital source. You can hear exactly where a ride cymbal is being hit, on the bell or on the rim and exactly how hard. It makes precussion tracks fascinating to listen to because there is so much going with the playing of a drummer like Dave Weckyl that I didn't appreciate before.

In the mids, voices sound natural and well defined, and there is a sense of each instrument in the recording doing it's own thing and being easy to pick out, with realistic timbre and dynamic envelope. Sounds like brass stabs start and stop in a totally believable way, and despite the detail/resolution the overall sounds blends together as a performance rather than being disected in a weird 'Hi-Fi' way. There seems to be an impression that louder sounds dominate quieter ones less than before - less blending and modulation of decays by 'foreground' sounds.

Bass performance is weighty and powerful, without being soggy or boomy in any way. Electric Bass, Acoustic bass or left hand piano just sound right to me - plenty of weight and heft, with believable texture and envelopes. Hearing a five string bass played on something like Donald Fagin's Security Joan from Morph the Cat seems that the lower notes on the B string have consistent weight and a defined envelope wheras before they tended to waffle and become less distinct. I am an ex-bassist so I really appreciate this clarity and dynamics I'm getting at the low end with this pre-amp. I love Brian Bromberg's double bass on Downright uptight.. just marvelous.

So, although I cheaped out and didn't get the even more excellent (and much more expensive) SE model with nice teflon caps and mega expensive resistors I feel that I'm getting a good chunk of it's perfomance. I can upgrade further for the same cost as the price difference, but I think I would need new speakers, turntable etc first. Oh dear.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Alan.

All sounds rather excellent, good performance hike without spending mega money

.......and valve based, nice.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Alex.

Cheers Alan,

It was still a lot of money by my standards and those of most sane people. I can't really talk about VFM at this price point, but the sound is very very good and it integrates wonderfully with the rest of my system. It has always surprised that there isn't more love for C-J on AoS given the number of tube lovers here...

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Julian.

Congrats Alex, looks fabulous. I'm delighted with my CJ EV1 phono stage and I'm sure I would like their amps too ...

Enjoy!
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    Cheers Alan,

It was still a lot of money by my standards and those of most sane people. I can't really talk about VFM at this price point, but the sound is very very good and it integrates wonderfully with the rest of my system. It has always surprised that there isn't more love for C-J on AoS given the number of tube lovers here...

Regards,
    Alex
    Hi Alex,

I have always liked C J stuff for many years and hold them in great respect but they were always out of my league price wise. I have heard some of their earlier models and they were indeed impressive.

Enjoy your new pre
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Excellent review, Alex, and a lovely preamp

You're right, most of the music is often lost at the preamp stage, if you haven't got it right - and the best valve preamps have a magical way with music that few solid-state (or passive) preamps are able to match.

Enjoy!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Excellent review, Alex, and a lovely preamp

You're right, most of the music is often lost at the preamp stage, if you haven't got it right - and the best valve preamps have a magical way with music that few solid-state (or passive) preamps are able to match.

Enjoy!

Marco.

Why?
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Alex.

I think a part of the success with this preamp design is due to no negative feedback being used.

I'm Alex.

I have put a Gold Lion 6922 valve in to replace the standard Electro harmonix 6922. Wow - what a good value upgrade!. The sound stage has opened right up and the amp is totally silent (was some slight tube rush before)

There is quite an improvement in mid range and treble detail and bass now has more power.

I've seen a few positive reviews of the GL small signal tubes and I can confirm that they are excellent indeed. I'm very pleased that there is a good new production alternative to NOS tubes, which I have always found to be something of a crap shoot in terms of performance and life. There are still plenty of good old valves around, but it's nice to know that we aren't stuck with second rate modern alternatives or fishing from a shrinking stock of decent NOS valves.

Cheers,
    Alex

I'm Phil.

yes often seen these and wondered why not more about them
    what does `phase inverting` mean with these pre amps ?
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast