+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Firebottle valve phono stage

I'm James.

Smile Firebottle valve phono stage

I recently had the opportunity to listen to Firebottles phono stage during a bake off against the Croft 25r. This has been posted on AOS get togethers. However subsequent to that session I have had more time with Alan's phono stage and can now make a definitive review.

The Firebottle phono stage can be viewed on other posts submitted by Alan but I would say it is a very nicely executed device with a quality feel to it. It comes in a black aluminium box with a silver face plate with just a power switch and blue indicator light. At the rear it has some good quality gold plated connectors and a switch which offers eithe mm or mc cartridge options.

I listened to it via the line stage of the Croft 25r using an interconnect supplied by and manufactured by Alan. This cable was a prototype but worked exceedingly well. I will be assessing this independently later but from what I heard with the phono stage it was superb.

As usual I selected a wide range of music to listen to via my Vpi TT and Spendor SP2 speakers. First up was a Rodrigo y Gabriela LP. Straight away the Firebottle phono stage sounded transparent, detailed and open. I had a sense of the performers in their own acoustic space with superb timbre from the guitars but also excellent realism. The music really opened up with the Firebottle phono.

Moving on to vocals I listened to some London Grammar which is cut onto 45rpm vinyl and is a great recording of female vocals. The Firebottle phono amp was breathtaking. Hannah Reids vocals were palpable in the room with every nuance delivered in the recording. I have never heard anything as good with my system. It was almost hard to describe but the whole recording was rendered at a scale I had not previously heard. The sheer transparency and body of the sound was something to behold. It was like someone had opened a door and removed previously heard barriers between the music and the listener.

Further listening confirmed this even more. The Firebottle phono stripped away layers and revealed details otherwise unheard. It really made the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

I only listened using the mm stage with a ortofon 2M black so cannot comment on mc stage.
    This is a fabulous phono stage which in my system performed sonic wonders. I would recommend anyone who needs a phono stage, you must listen to this. There might have been some synergy with my system which made it an addictive listen however I am sure it would sound great in most vinyl systems.

I know it's a bit of a cliche but this could be a giant killer!

Now I need to try Alan's cable again.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 19-05-2014 at 14:13.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Tony.

Yep I've had one in my system for about a month now and I love it.

Think that there might be a tiny amount of distortion but I think that valves are meant to sound like that so no big deal, I actually quite like that sound after having used SS phono stages previously.

I'm Paul.

I'd imagine the Ortofon 2M Black would be a great match with the Firebottle, killer combination.
    Paul.

I'm phil.

I am waiting to try in my rega p3 benz micro silver combo, looking forward to it!!

+ Reply to Thread