+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The SLIC Innovations Eclipse C Balanced XLR Interconnect

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Steven - just to clarify, you're using a single SLIC as a digital cable? That's a new application and not even advertised. Interesting - what other digital cables have you compared it with?
    The problem is I've got a lot of new stuff going on. Not really testing cables, more the DACs, and running two DACs at once for comparison. Cables from DACs to amp are TQ Ultra Black and Osborn Silver (from Australia, £140, as good as the UB's to my ears).

Was intending to connect my Ava Media Zara Premium data source by usb. The ZP has a problem with usb drivers (don't know if its me - probably - or the machine), so was using Meicord CAT6 as the PS Audio has a network bridge. You wouldn't expect there to be an issue with data over usb, but either I've gone senile or suffering from audio illusion, but direct to the DAC with the MCRU mystery cable gave a really thrilling performance.

I think the Longdog helped. It pips the PS Audio. I think it has cracked the digital to analogue sound trick. I plugged in the Moon 380D this morning and it sounded unpleasantly solid state by comparison, even with Dave's cable. The bass was possibly fuller, but the top end was dry and fatigue set in quite quickly. To me the balance of the DAC was wrong and all was revealed by the cable.

Dave is sending me down the standard SLIC digital RCA in due course, to see if the £120 plugs make any difference. I noted on his blurb that his mate in the Huddersfield mafia who is responsible for the SLIC that he selected much cheaper plugs that suit the cable and there is not need for the "upgrade". I think this is a test cable.

I've been delighted with TQ Ultra Black speaker cables and interconnects since I got them a few years ago. My only other cable is a Kharma reference silver cable from phono to amp, as both are silver wired and terminated.

So I'll be buying the cable, either the standard one of the one I have at the moment. I'll then sit back and listen to the music and not worry about cables any more.

p.s. Does anyone else out there have the Zara Premium? I love it and with a good DAC controlled from n-serve, its just a joy.

I'm Deleted.

Thank you Martin for writing what is, by far, the most informative review of these cables. The only disapointment, for me, is that you didn't compare the single ended versions.
    Account Deleted

MartinT Guest

I might try a single-ended SLIC for the one run I have (phono pre > preamp), Mark, but I've spent quite enough this month!

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

The photo looks like it uses a cross structure as per Eugene Howe's patent, and with the slight twist in order to put on a reel more easily after making the cable. Is that what it feels like to you Martin?

I wonder if there are any other cables using similar conductors in the same 4-point arrangement and how they would compare..

There are certainly other patents with twisted conductor pairs in a 4-point arrangement to reduce cross-talk but manufactured sealed inside a round dialectric rather than the easier-to-home-produce cross structure. Those patents are for data cables so likely to just be copper to data standard purity (whatever that might be) and I presume the Eclipse is purest silver .

Edit: I mean Eugene Howe's other patent to the one Martin mentions in the OP : https://www.google.com/patents/US7777135 .
    Last edited by nat8808; 15-05-2014 at 18:07.

I'm Neil.

Yes, I was just playing Eric Clapton's Unplugged. The sense of a live occasion is wonderful and the audience noise and applause very lifelike.
    What a lovely album that is. Anything from MTV Unplugged is great & also a good test of a system.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Are they silver cables does anyone know?

MCRU's website seems to neglect to mention the conductor material completely. Could just be CAT5 ready twisted strands for all we know, or tinned copper or just tinned steel wire. Not that it matters sonically but does help make decisions on VFM.

If it's copper, there could well be cable already made with a similar construction that no-one has bothered trying for hifi ... yet!

MartinT Guest

I have been unable to uncover what the cable material is. I can only say that it outperforms my Yannis pure silver cables and the aforementioned Mark Grant silver plated cable.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    The photo looks like it uses a cross structure as per Eugene Howe's patent, and with the slight twist in order to put on a reel more easily after making the cable. Is that what it feels like to you Martin?
    It feels off-round in cross-section, Nat, octagonal or similar. If there is a twist, it's not consistent.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    Are they silver cables does anyone know?

MCRU's website seems to neglect to mention the conductor material completely. Could just be CAT5 ready twisted strands for all we know, or tinned copper or just tinned steel wire. Not that it matters sonically but does help make decisions on VFM.

If it's copper, there could well be cable already made with a similar construction that no-one has bothered trying for hifi ... yet!
    Tin plating does add an edge to the sound. I know that some people do it because they are worried about oxidation, but for me it adds something at the top end, a false sense of detail when used in certain ways...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

It feels off-round in cross-section, Nat, octagonal or similar. If there is a twist, it's not consistent.

It just feels like a little snake to me, it's soo thick...

And just to add also that I am so pleased I kept my SLIC as it does perform so well, I think if i'd have sent it back I would miss it so then I know I made the right decision... and as Frank says you need to listen to a good live recording to really hear what the SLIC can do; it is quite uncanny!! and very real...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast