+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Lampizator Level 7

I'm Justin.

Where did you source your 6A3s from? What I am asking is are you sure they are good?

I've got a bit of time at the moment. I may run some overall system frequency response tests for a few different triodes and see what happens. If it looks interesting I'll post the results.

I'm Norm.

Hi J,

Did you see Elberoths posts at Audioshark and Compaudiophile?

Here is a link to WBF post:
    http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...l=1#post308241

I'm Justin.

Cost cutting PCB Big 7 hey? TBH I'd rather have a hardwired version it is easier to fix and mess around with.

I suspect demand has exceeded the practicality of supplying hardwired units.

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by User211
    See post #143 for heater description - so it is the opposite of what you have said.
    Because the LampizatOr DAC Manual that your previously linked to http://www.lampizator.eu/LampizatorDACUserManual.pdf suggested that the 6A3 be run in the 2A3 switched position, I’m glad to see that your methodology and it correlates....Thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I don't get any congestion with 6A3 no matter what the music type - complex or simple. Given the cost of the DAC $200 for a pair of triodes is small fry I think.
    With the 6A3 in the 2A3 position, what I’m hearing of concern may perhaps be defined as distortion and I’m considering it congestion. Terminology aside, on some music, there is a certain sound at a higher volume that is not to my liking. It makes me want to decrease the volume. It’s almost like it is too much of a good thing, if that makes any sense!? Again, I haven’t made any definitive conclusions. I still have some inner-ear congestion in my left ear from a sinus infection from approx. 3-weeks ago. So, my hearing may somewhat be the culprit, or just another variable, of which there are many, that need to be sorted out! I always bounce system tweaks and changes off my son, whose ears are a lot younger than mine. So, I plan on seeking his assessment of the 6A3’s.

Although it’s good that my son didn’t pattern himself after all of my traits (especially the questionable ones….grin), he did inherit the audiophile gene. So it’s always nice having another “educated” set of ears to compare against my seasoned citizen ones!

In the $200 neighborhood, I totally agree with your DAC cost vs tube cost analogy, in fact, that’s why I tried the 6A3’s. But considering $600 for Psvane 101D “Replicas” and considerably more for actual WE’s, when the cost exceeds a couple hundred bucks, I hesitate to buy a pair that I may rarely, if ever use, if they don’t pan out. On the other hand, if I would elect to sell them if they weren't to my sonic liking, I would be more than ready to try more expensive combinations. However, while some may sell tubes without testing them, I wouldn't really want to do so.

Where did you source your 6A3s from? What I am asking is are you sure they are good?
    Because I had a similar concern, I sourced the 6A3’s from TubeWorldExpress.com. I have had good luck buying from Brendan in the past. But because I’m without a tester, I can never be absolutely positive that the tubes received are “good”.

I've got a bit of time at the moment. I may run some overall system frequency response tests for a few different triodes and see what happens. If it looks interesting I'll post the results.

The results of any tests would be informative.....

-Mike

I'm Justin.

I don't think price is that reflective of perceived performance. So I think you are much better off trying cheaper less well known triodes. There are very few NOS 300Bs and 2A3s left at reasonable prices.

Why not try 6B4G with some adaptors that can be had cheaply on ebay?

Also, the Sylvania 6A3 is not what I have - mine are Tung Sol. In my experience valves of the same type by different manufacturers do not sound the same. That is, however, no reason for your 6A3s to sound distorted. Surely if the EML 45s don't suffer from this aren't they really the better option?

If you feel like taking a bit more of a risk http://www.hifishark.com/ is a good search tool for valves. It includes Jap Yahoo auctions. But the translations are well dodgy. They seem to have a lot of WE valves in Japan.

WRT Psvane 101D you could always sell them on quickly if you don't like them. I don't think you'd lose that much money.

I'm Michael.

I don't think price is that reflective of perceived performance. So I think you are much better off trying cheaper less well known triodes. There are very few NOS 300Bs and 2A3s left at reasonable prices.

Why not try 6B4G with some adaptors that can be had cheaply on ebay?

Also, the Sylvania 6A3 is not what I have - mine are Tung Sol. In my experience valves of the same type by different manufacturers do not sound the same. That is, however, no reason for your 6A3s to sound distorted. Surely if the EML 45s don't suffer from this aren't they really the better option?

If you feel like taking a bit more of a risk http://www.hifishark.com/ is a good search tool for valves. It includes Jap Yahoo auctions. But the translations are well dodgy. They seem to have a lot of WE valves in Japan.

WRT Psvane 101D you could always sell them on quickly if you don't like them. I don't think you'd lose that much money.
    Superbly cogent advice User211!

I had not considered the 6B4G. It and perhaps another pair of 6A3's &/or NOS 45's/2A3's may be in order.

In the meantime, re. the rectifier, I have a WE422a on its way. I'm interested in hearing its affect. Rolling the rectifier in my pre-amp was a very worthwhile endeavor. Hopefully, the same will be true of the Big 7!

I'm Justin.

WE 422a is hardly a cheap rectifier Mike.

I have a pair of EML 274B rectifiers which I will sell you for the right price if you are interested. No more than 50 hours on them for some reason I really like the cheaper punched plate TJ. That's only because it works well with my current setup I wouldn't have said that months ago.

You need to upgrade to the 14K Euro Golden Gate with a recti like that. Top looks nice at any rate. Pretty tempting to start fooing mine with stuff like that. Foo some extra internal bits too.

Last edited by User211; 10-03-2015 at 19:16.

I'm Michael.

Yep, the 422A isn't “cheap” by any means Justin; however, I ran across a very good testing one that was on the very low side of the 422A price spectrum. It was in the price range of other normally less expensive highly sought after, non-WE rectifiers. If I find a tube that is a keeper, I’m not too concerned about the price as long as it isn’t an unobtanium price. That and least for myself, cables costing more than the hardware they're connected to, are not something that I find economically prudent. So hopefully, the 422A even at a fairly reasonable cost, will be one that is a keeper.

Thanks for your insight Justin. By all means, please keep posting your thoughts and tube rolling experiences re the Lampi 7.

Cheers,

-Mike

PS. You should have a PM from me.....

I'm Michael.

My impression of the 6A3's is changing as probably the tubes are with some burnin use. They are late of late '40's vintage and as me, they may have been a little gassey; nothing that the getter couldn't burn off

Nevertheless, their producing the most holographic soundstage that I've ever heard. Separation is pretty amazing. Whether they will ultimately be my primary tubes, I haven't a clue. But, they are sure fun to listen to. Not bad for around $50 a piece!

In the meantime, I post my thoughts when the 422A arrives....

I'm Norm.

I have a pair of EML 274B rectifiers which I will sell you for the right price if you are interested. No more than 50 hours on them for some reason I really like the cheaper punched plate TJ. That's only because it works well with my current setup I wouldn't have said that months ago.

You need to upgrade to the 14K Euro Golden Gate with a recti like that. Top looks nice at any rate. Pretty tempting to start fooing mine with stuff like that. Foo some extra internal bits too.

J, its not the top so much that drives up the price. It is the Bugatti internal parts that do it. Boutique parts up the wazzoo. Furutech/Vishay/Duelund silver, etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast