+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Lampizator Level 7

I'm Norm.

Quote Originally Posted by tonerei View Post
    Lads on a Level4 reading a variety of threads a few valves are suggested for the ECC40 valves. Tungsram, Phillips white label and on occasion some strange variants.
    What valves will work in that position and where are you buying them? Thanks in advance.
    Most are the same...tall with the skirt. i have seen short ones with the skirt by eother Sonotone or Selectron. Then there is the squat no skirt Tungram, which i though was the only different construction. However, I have since seen Siemens which had identical construction.

The consensus is that the Mullards CV3884 are the worst, in that they are the least robust. All ECC40 tubes sound good, but the Tungram squat construction tube type seems to shade the other types in tersm of midrange and bass.

In terms of skirted tubes, I have seen Mullards, Phillips, Triotron, Selectron and Sonotone. I think Siemens ALSO has a skirted version too.

I'm Norm.

Quote Originally Posted by _JL_ View Post
    Hi Justin,

Very nice tubes you have there. I own the two-box L7 DAC and I can confirm the effect of tube rolling. You may also want to roll the rectifier tube as well, yours' 6x5 or 5U4G? I found the Raytheon 6x5 much better than the Russian counterpart.

I wonder if you just plug the 6A3 into the Big7 and run it without modification? I think the 6A3 has 6 volt filament while the 45/2A3 has 2.5V so that means the 6A3 will be running with a very low filament voltage: ~2.5V vs 6V. Similar for the VT-52 which has 7V filament. This may work just fine as tubes are very resilient.

Happy listening.

Jack
    Consensus is that for 6x5, the TungSol metal base is best (very hard to find), followed by RCA and Sylvania ceramic bases. All US rectis tend to beat the Russian ones too.

Regarding the L7 tube setting, the circuit auto balances itself for total wattage, so whatever combo of volts and amps that get to 4.5w max and 6.5w max will work....so I have been told.

I'm Norm.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    ECC40 doesn't have much in the way of rolling options. Most were made by Tungsram. I have some Tungsram totally NOS apart from 3 hours use. PM if interested.

Does your Lampi have any other sockets?
    No, most were the skirted kind made by Phillips. Tungsram appears to be better! Send a pair to Lukasz if you can, as I dont think he has heard them. My local guys no longer has any.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    No, most were the skirted kind made by Phillips. Tungsram appears to be better! Send a pair to Lukasz if you can, as I dont think he has heard them. My local guys no longer has any.
    Er yup sorry Norm memory failed me there.

RCA 6X5s ceramic base seem to be managing to stay in the Lampi at the mo. They can't be bad. I have two pairs - unfortunately the black plates don't work. I'm listening to greys now. Got a full refund on the blacks but they were peanuts anyway.

I'm Jack.

The Sylvania VT52 is 6.3V. Lucasz says it is fine to use them, as is the 6A3.

I really don't like the Raytheon, which just goes to show.

You are right about voltages otherwise. 6A3 - don't try it in a 2A3 setup L7. It sounds distorted.

As I have said you exceed allowable Wattage with 6A3 in the 2A3 position.
    Interesting. The bias current is rather low in the L7 so it may not be too big an issue. I have been researching this very topic recently, i.e., running filament at below-spec voltage, and so far the findings with respect to tube life is inconclusive. However if it sounds good then that's what counts.

I'm Jack.

Consensus is that for 6x5, the TungSol metal base is best (very hard to find), followed by RCA and Sylvania ceramic bases. All US rectis tend to beat the Russian ones too.

Regarding the L7 tube setting, the circuit auto balances itself for total wattage, so whatever combo of volts and amps that get to 4.5w max and 6.5w max will work....so I have been told.
    I never saw Tungsol metal base before. Need to start looking. For the RCA/Sylvania ceramic bases are their base in white color? I have some RCA/Sylvania ones but the base is not in white ceramic color. I'll need to try those sometimes.

I am not certain but I suspect the L7 is cathode-biased so the bias will stabilize itself. I'm not sure what 'wattage' is referring to. Is it the filament wattage or plate dissipation?

I'm Justin.

Can someone who might have a clue about how this circuit actually works please step in and explain it simply? It would be appreciated by quite a few people I am sure.

I'm Tony.

Most are the same...tall with the skirt. i have seen short ones with the skirt by eother Sonotone or Selectron. Then there is the squat no skirt Tungram, which i though was the only different construction. However, I have since seen Siemens which had identical construction.

The consensus is that the Mullards CV3884 are the worst, in that they are the least robust. All ECC40 tubes sound good, but the Tungram squat construction tube type seems to shade the other types in tersm of midrange and bass.

In terms of skirted tubes, I have seen Mullards, Phillips, Triotron, Selectron and Sonotone. I think Siemens ALSO has a skirted version too.
    Thanks Norman swapped out whatever Lukasz supplied for a Sylvannia kindly donated to me. Haven't pulled out the ECC40's but take it they are Mullards?
    Where did you get the Tungsram valves? Are there various Tungsram styles or is whatever one I find squat construction
    Are these the ones? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Tungsram-ECC4...-/390690968369

or these http://pmcomponentsnos.co.uk/Tungsram-ECC40 Same shop different price
    Last edited by tonerei; 14-11-2014 at 21:47.

I'm Justin.

Yes they are the ones I have.

Singularly stupid pin out on them though, which makes it hard to line up in the Lampi. Make very sure the nipple in the glass lines up with the red marker Lucasz or someone will have put on the valve base. It is perfectly possible to put it in the wrong way.

I'm Tony.

Yes they are the ones I have.

Singularly stupid pin out on them though, which makes it hard to line up in the Lampi. Make very sure the nipple in the glass lines up with the red marker Lucasz or someone will have put on the valve base. It is perfectly possible to put it in the wrong way.
    Thanks Justin, Will give them a go and hopefully will put them in right. Not sure Why Lukasz went with the notion of installing the valves in the base
    Sorry this is a Big7 thread so to move it back on topic do owners think it is a bit of work of art? Not sure has he just managed to stumble upon the design of clear/semi clear perspex lid. For me it is an understated art piece that just happens to sound better than anything else I have heard to date.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast