+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Lampizator Level 7

I'm Justin.

Only those listed in this thread minus the TJ 2A3 as one died. Which is a shame as I liked them quite a bit.

I'm Justin.

The KR PX4 is insane.

Switching from VT-52 to PX4 blows the soundstage wide open to wall perimeter defying levels and dishes up a wealth of mid range detail I have never heard before.

Bass is also surprisingly weighty, full and detailed.

I'm really not sure how it is doing it but I suspect phase and frequency response anomalies are responsible. But maybe not. Applying EQ to tone down the mid and highs doesn't really seem to stop the detail digging as much as you would expect. Perplexing.

A note to Jerry: if you thought my system was highly resolving, you should hear this. It is NUTCASE.

I had a Lampizator EML Special Edition 45 in the system for a few hours, but it definitely sounded a lot more "normal" than this.

I've owned this DAC for a long time now, and this thing really is quite a shock to listen to. You never really know this DAC which is what makes it such a pleasure to own.

So if your in for a dose of forensics, large soundstage with clear placement of images, and some weighty, very well resolved bass, this would appear to be the ticket.

It isn't really a valve to relax with. VT-52 will definitely tone everything down a notch, for instance i.e. collapse the soundstage, drop the level of detail, warm things up a bit, and produce a less awesome bass. But that is no bad thing. It's all about what sort of mood your in at the time, I think.

EDIT: the PX4 also majors on speed. Things seem to happen extremely quickly WRT transients.
    Last edited by User211; 17-01-2017 at 13:04.

I'm Justin.

Some might enjoy this as there are a few Lampi owners out there. I've just posted it.

I'm not advocating spending this much on a DAC in any way, shape or form. Unless you are extremely wealthy I'd judge it to be a mistake. Anyway, the man speaks, for 48 minutes, so you have to be pretty fanatical to want to watch it all.

I'm Justin.

My god what is this thread doing with 73K hits? I haven't looked at it for ages. Far out.

Anyway, been playing with a few new valves in my now extensively modified Lampizator. It now uses active triode loading in the shape of a 6N6P, and a 5U4G rectifier (I'm using a Chatham 5R4WGB). The two 6X5 rectifiers are now gone.

I have also had some huge Jupiter copper foil caps installed in the output stage, which I have to say sound fabulous. I have two sets of RCA jacks and can switch between those and the Duelands.

So here's the valves I've been assessing.

From left to right:

KR 300B Ricardo Kron edition
    Marconi PX4 on adaptors bought from ebay to make them fit into UX4 sockets
    EML Lampizator 6th Anniversary Special 45
    KR 242
    KR PX25

and a gratuitous shot of the system they are being assessed in, mainly because I really like the way the sunlight falls on the left speaker. Had to be worth a post

I had to send the KR 300B RK back due to a manufacturing issue. I am glad I did as this pair sounds quite markedly better and also quite different. Which is freakin' curious, since the fault was simply due to mica not touching the glass to prevent microphony like it should.

Will post some thoughts about all apart from the Marconi PX4 soonish. I'm keeping that one secret, just to tease
    Last edited by User211; 23-06-2018 at 20:44.

I'm Grant.

Looking great Justin. Massive panels those
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Heard some Lampizator kit today and it made an impression.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Heard some Lampizator kit today and it made an impression.
    What was it? The DACs themselves are interesting as they all vary in sound depending on how they were built and what valves they have in them. DACs on the same level vary, especially over time. Different caps, different circuits etc etc.

Mine is now at level "doesn't exist", I would say. It doesn't correspond to anything in the current line up.

BTW I don't own that batch of valves, the PX25, 242 and EML 45s are on loan from a GG owner.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    What was it? The DACs themselves are interesting as they all vary in sound depending on how they were built and what valves they have in them. DACs on the same level vary, especially over time. Different caps, different circuits etc etc.
    I think it was a combined DAC/pre-amp and two monoblocks. The monoblocks used enormous valves.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Looking great Justin. Massive panels those
    Have another pic Note XiangSheng in front of the monoblock.

I still love it. It is my "reality reset" DAC, meaning I return to it just to see how it compares with the Lampi. Stops me getting carried away.

While a Lampi is fun it is an expensive toy, especially considering that the price of even just those RK 300Bs is 11 times the price of the Xiang.

Sobering thought and it shows just how great the Xiang VFM is.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think it was a combined DAC/pre-amp and two monoblocks. The monoblocks used enormous valves.
    Were you at Cranage the day before or something?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast