+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh bloody hell, what have I started now! My Misses is going to kill me!

I'm Steve.

Default Oh bloody hell, what have I started now! My Misses is going to kill me!

I blame Nick (Beechwoods)....

A fellow audio-freak at work (who's Dad is even worse... Mmmmm should get them both to join AOS actually) happened to mention that he was going to give away 'an old tape deck' to a charity shop and I just couldn't help saying 'Oh really? I'll have it'

Why? Why did I feel the need to do that? OK, as it happens, the free, old tape deck was a Technics RS-BX747 which is not bad as a freebie, but the trouble is it's starting to lead me down a whole new dark path which now has me watching a variety of items on eBay, including various blank cassettes and worse still, reel-to-reel machines....

I can already see our new house filling with audio junk and we haven't even moved in yet!! This is the trouble with moving from a flat to a decent size house. It's given me scope and space for picking up 'bargains' because I've now actually got somewhere to put them.

No doubt tuners will be next.

Is there any way to stop this or is it already too late?
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hehehehe... The power is too strong, my brother. Just chill, embrace the madness, and enjoy!

It won't be long until you get all 'moist' looking at VU meters

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neal.

Steve, been there...still doing it....5 turntables, 6 valve amps, 4 pairs of 'speakers and loads of other assorted stuff!

Theres no end to it!
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebears View Post
    I blame Nick (Beechwoods)....

A fellow audio-freak at work (who's Dad is even worse... Mmmmm should get them both to join AOS actually) happened to mention that he was going to give away 'an old tape deck' to a charity shop and I just couldn't help saying 'Oh really? I'll have it'

Why? Why did I feel the need to do that? OK, as it happens, the free, old tape deck was a Technics RS-BX747 which is not bad as a freebie, but the trouble is it's starting to lead me down a whole new dark path which now has me watching a variety of items on eBay, including various blank cassettes and worse still, reel-to-reel machines....

I can already see our new house filling with audio junk and we haven't even moved in yet!! This is the trouble with moving from a flat to a decent size house. It's given me scope and space for picking up 'bargains' because I've now actually got somewhere to put them.

No doubt tuners will be next.

Is there any way to stop this or is it already too late?
    Too late You are doomed.........

Yes.....it all Nick's fault. I have still to work out how I will explain the presence (hopefully later today) of a massive Akai GX headed R to R machine thats on its way to me (+a pile of tapes). I have had to rearrange the system and how its laid out(photos to follow), and this to fit one R to R a Revox B77mk2. Now theres tape buying, leader tape buying, editing tape buying, head demag buying, cleaning fluid buying(had that already), Tape control switching input, output expander buying, NAB adapters buying, Metal spools or plastic spools considering then buying, 10.5 reels uuuuuuuuuur.............it goes on Oh yes and 60 mins of tape (New) costs about £20+ after VAT and P&P And all of this and I have no money...I am mad no doubt. I have justified it by the thought "that sometimes you are in the right place at the right time and not to get something at that time means you might never" that argument doesn't really hold water, but there you go works for me.

Its a disease of that there is no doubt...... Full write up of the Dalek Supremes tape adventure when I figure out how to do it....that bit goes there ummmmmmmm? Oh yes and that bit of tape winds round that....AHHHHHHH.... Sound ?

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 09-07-2009 at 09:58.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nick.

Heh heh heh You've had it now. There's no turning back! You'll be sneaking in portable Uher's next

Enjoy it Steve! There's great fun to be had with tape!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Heh heh heh You've had it now. There's no turning back! You'll be sneaking in portable Uher's next

Hi Nick

I am not sure about where I am going next(out the front door with a size4 boot up my ass, no doubt). I hadn't intended on getting the Akai after the Revox (I hadn't expected to win it), but the guy who owns the Akai is such a really nice helpful gentleman I just couldn't pull out.....plus he was very kind on pricing, he threw in all his tapes + more...I had to go with it. I may ask him to join AOS he is a electronics engineer. He wanted his Akai to go to a good home...I know I can fulfill that wish. Just hope it survives its journey. He packed it the way I would have, and we discussed this at length. He also kept all his boxes...a man after my own heart.

Revox A77 perhaps....next , Technics, Teac, Sony, Tandburg,..............help.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Nick.

Mrs Dalek Supreme must have loved that trip to Scotland, but watch the brownie points don't expire unexpectedly!!
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Mrs Dalek Supreme must have loved that trip to Scotland, but watch the brownie points don't expire unexpectedly!!

I would say I am up for extermination later....now where can I hide it and myself............UMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmm...Nope no where. This assuming it comes today, should do, but next day is not always next day.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Hi Nick

Zonal splicing tape and leader tape just arrived via the post....no excuses now, onwards and upwards. Its as well the Revox has a built in editing block....

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Nick.

All sorted and ready to rock! Can't wait to hear how it sounds!
    Nick
    My system...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast