+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shorties - another cheap upgrade ?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    they are handy for blocking up unused inputs so you don't plug into them by mistake when swapping cables about around at the back of a rack in poor lighting conditions.
    Now that is a good idea !
    Obvious now you mention it
    I can see bugger all around the back of my amp when I'm changing around
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Chris.

See also this thread http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...noise-stoppers from a while ago.

fwiw, I bought some RCA and XLR caps from Vintage Audio Lab on the bay but they don't seem to list now. I put them everywhere I could and I reckon it cleaned things up a small but noticeable amount as well as keeping dust out of the sockets. For the low cost, I wouldn't hesitate in buying more.

Chris

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    See also this thread http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...noise-stoppers from a while ago.

fwiw, I bought some RCA and XLR caps from Vintage Audio Lab on the bay but they don't seem to list now. I put them everywhere I could and I reckon it cleaned things up a small but noticeable amount as well as keeping dust out of the sockets. For the low cost, I wouldn't hesitate in buying more.

Chris
    Thanks Chris, very useful
    Wonder how many useful threads there are from before my time .......
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm John.

I would have thought those shorting plugs would provide no benefit for your XP-20 pre as it has relayed input which does the same or better job than the shorties?

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    Thanks Chris, very useful
    Wonder how many useful threads there are from before my time .......
    There was a big bust-up in the early days when some clown tried to argue that shellac records would never replace wax cylinders.

I'm Michael.

I have some cheap ones (not Russ Andrews) in my system. Have to say I didn't really notice any difference sonically but like everyone says they keep out dust at least.
    Vinyl: Pro-Ject Xpression MkII + Speedbox MKII + Goldring 1042MM
    CD: Cambridge Audio 851C
    Network: Bluesound Node 2
    Amps: Musical Fidelity A5CR Pre / Power (JS Audio full upgrade)
    Speakers: Harbeth Monitor 30.1
    Cabling: Tellurium Q Black Diamond / Studio Connections Black Star / Graditech Kide Digital
    Mains: James Audio MK7 Power Conditioner, Studio Connections Black Star, Synergistic Research Orange fuses
    Support: Creaktiv Rack, Hi-Fi Racks 30.1, Black Ravioli

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by potatoha View Post
    I would have thought those shorting plugs would provide no benefit for your XP-20 pre as it has relayed input which does the same or better job than the shorties?
    No idea, me no techie, but that could be

Mike

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
    I have some cheap ones (not Russ Andrews) in my system. Have to say I didn't really notice any difference sonically but like everyone says they keep out dust at least.
    Apart from those that say they work the big plus for me would be blocking the inputs I can't see - and don't want to accidentally plug into
    Cheap enough to try
    I need to count up me inputs

Mike

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    I made a load of these a few years ago.

The difference they make to the sound quality is like night and day*.

*As observed from the bottom of a very deep cave.
    Keith, did you find using a low value shunt resistor was better than a direct short. I can't make out the colours, so what value resistor have you used?

I have seen RCA phono socket "dust caps" advertised for sale on ebay. These simply cover the socket, without shorting out the input. Has anybody tried these and are the results obtained different to that using shorting plugs?

For what it's worth, I believe that unless you live near a high power transmitter or relay mast, or live near an airport with an air traffic control radar, the only benefit in using shorting plugs is to keep dust out and to blank off unused inputs. As others have commented, they are cheap and do no harm.
    Barry

I'm James.

I recall reading an article a few years ago... May have been on Decibel Dungeon ? Anyway, the author was showing how to put together "shorties" for unused coax outputs on CD/DVD players & these used a 75R resistor.

FWIW I've got some "shorties" here that came with Denon & NAD amplifiers from the factory and they are all the direct short variety.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast