• 8 out of 10

2 18.18%
  • 9 out of 10

1 9.09%
  • 10 out of 10

3 27.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 144: 06/05/2014: Christina Pluhar (L’Arpeggiata) - All’ Improvviso

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I played it again yesterday, Mike, and still love the performance and sound of the period instruments (especially that giant guitar Christina plays, and the dulcimer). Moreover, it's one of the best recordings on CD format out there. The Spotify version is a real disappointment.
    'Bout time it was back on the main system at some volume
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by losenotaminute View Post
    The clarinet playing in particular I find very unpleasant
    That is sublime !
    Maybe it needs more listens to get into your blood.
    I played it a few times before I loved it, but I think there was an inkling at the start.
    Unlike Mahavishnu and Birds of Fire which took a very long time and many listens before I was utterly in its power
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Wonderful - absolutely bloody marvellous! I love early (pre-baroque) music, but this recording is new to me.

I listened to it on Grooveshark, via headphones and have no complaints of the sound quality. I must buy myself a copy and look forward to listening to it on my system.

9/10 from me. Thanks Martin for introducing this fine recording to us. Different, but that is what the Album Club should be about.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-05-2014 at 09:24.
    Barry

MartinT Guest

(but I think you forgot to vote, Barry).

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    (but I think you forgot to vote, Barry).
    Oops! Now corrected.
    Barry

I'm Tom.

I had a punt on this as the write-up was interesting and I didn't have any early music.
    Lovely stuff! The only thing I find a little grating are (some of) the vocals, so prefer the tracks on which these take a back-seat (nothing specific to this recording - I tend to dislike vocals anyway). I don't know about the streamed version, but an EAC rip of the CD sounds smashing - love the clarinet(?) on track 5 and the violin on track 9.

MartinT Guest

The guitar on track 6 is pretty good, too.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by .mus View Post
    I had a punt on this as the write-up was interesting and I didn't have any early music.
    Lovely stuff! The only thing I find a little grating are (some of) the vocals, so prefer the tracks on which these take a back-seat (nothing specific to this recording - I tend to dislike vocals anyway). I don't know about the streamed version, but an EAC rip of the CD sounds smashing - love the clarinet(?) on track 5 and the violin on track 9.
    I don't go for vocals and often avoid, but these seem so well done
    Like seeing an old friend when playing this

Mike

I'm Tom.

Agreed that they're very well done - alas, that's almost a bad thing in this context - a very well performed and recorded sound that I dislike! But still, it only slightly detracts from my enjoyment of the pieces as a whole.
    Interesting your comparison to seeing an old friend - as soon as it started I was struck by how familiar (in a good way) it all sounded, but I'm more or less sure that I haven't encountered these pieces before

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by .mus View Post
    Agreed that they're very well done - alas, that's almost a bad thing in this context - a very well performed and recorded sound that I dislike! But still, it only slightly detracts from my enjoyment of the pieces as a whole.
    Interesting your comparison to seeing an old friend - as soon as it started I was struck by how familiar (in a good way) it all sounded, but I'm more or less sure that I haven't encountered these pieces before
    I first used that as a metaphor when listening to Squeeze recorded live off The Tube, followed by Jesse Rae - Over the sea (total head case !) and Pat Metheny recorded live off Capital I think. A great tape

Here's m'man

and here is that Squeeze session, wasn't on YouTube before

That is the best performance I have ever seen or heard them do, so totally together as a unit
    Last edited by MikeMusic; 14-05-2014 at 08:49. Reason: adding Squeeze YT

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast