+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JR149 - Restoration Thread

I'm Andrew.

True, but, I have the stuff in already and its FREE!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Its been a mixed night tonight. I was going to do a silver rewire but after looking at how the tweeter is wired I decided against it! This also has implications for veneering the base of the speaker unit. Being a complete novice I would have liked to applied a single piece of veneer and have done with but due the fact that the speaker connection wires exist into the base of the unit means this cant be done. I have come to the conclusion that I may have to leave this section alone. I will have another think over the weekend. The good news is that I have ordered my veneer. I decided upon this http://www.thewoodveneerhub.co.uk/p1...duct_info.html. Yep, OK, not very exotic but I'm in my comfort zone with this. I noticed that after a little googling the 149's had three or four small feet on the underside of the xo housing unit as can be seen in this link http://vintagetable.blogspot.co.uk/2...dspeakers.html. I will fabricate x6 (three for each speaker) of these at work over the next few days and probably apply them on with some double sided contact tape. I also intend to fabricate some new foam speaker mounts, but this time in 1mm EVA which should last longer and not deform like the flinsy version Rogers supplied. OK, thats enough for now some pictures later tonight.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Some more pics.

A bit of wood filler to fill in some nasty gashes before the veneer arrives.

The steel xo housing plate has now finished drying out and it looks excellent. OK, its not perfect but its a hell of a lot better than last night, see previous post.

Pity no-one will see the excellent inside finish, the outside didn't come out quite so well, but again its a big improvement on what it used to look like.

Yep, I'm anal! I even gave the bass driver screws a coat of gloss enamel paint to match the xo housing unit.

Say hello to the new XO locking bolts and nuts, they need cutting down and a decent sized washer but thats an easy 5 minutes work.

Both speaker drivers had a flimsy foam mounting. Completely crap. I will fabricate a new for the tweeter and the bass driver and then fixed them into
    place with double sided adhesive tape. This should stop them moving around and generally be a more sturdy design.

I now need to get some more supplies in. I need hacksaw blades to finish the XO's and some fine sand paper to prepare the veneer for the new veneer.

Busy Busy!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andr'e.

Im not being funny dude but it seems like a cowboy job imho!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Im not being funny dude but it seems like a cowboy job imho!
    In what way?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Nodrog.

If you look at the standard of the originals, I am quite sure that this job will at least equal them and very likely better them.

If you did the number of antiques restorations that I do and saw what was hidden under the immaculate surface you might have a different view.

I'm Andrew.

It's the first time I've done any cabinet work. I'm hoping to "tidy" the speakers up not restore back to pristine mint condition, this is beyond my skill set. I'm hoping to learn some new skills so I can enjoy my hobby and hopefully keep some old clunkers going so that they bring many more years of enjoyment. There is still A LOT of prep work to do on those veneer's. More later...
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    old clunkers going so that they bring many more years of enjoyment
    How double dare you. JR149s old clunkers indeed

I'm Andrew.

Its nearly 8 o'clock so its time for another update. The veneer arrived today, it was lighter than I was expecting, but I likes what I sees.

After a little planning I applied the top veneer

This is what it used to look like

I applied the underside veneer. I was going to leave this alone, I was scared to attempt it and then I manned up and planned how I was going to do it.

I'm very happy with how this turned out.

I also found some atacama speaker mounts and decided to use them on the underside of the XO cover. I have simply attached these with double sided tape. I did originally want some black ones but these were FREE!

The speaker connector got a good going over with IPA, my word some gunge came away from that.

I also to the oppotunity to clean the underside of the XO, and again removed years worth of grime

I have begun cutting down the EVA speaker mounts, these can be applied anytime so Im in no rush to finish these.

Finally repaired the black plastic at the base of the tweeter driver.

And finally, this is how one speaker looks on my floor...

OK, off to walk the dog..
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Roughly 8 o clock again and another update. Not much doing tonight. I managed to get one half of one speaker fully veneered the inner lip was a right bugger! I need to come up with a simple way of applying the inner veneer. I need a rigid compass and I think I've cracked it. The XO nuts have been cut and sprayed gloss black to fit in with the rest of the metalwork. These are currently drying. One speaker is approx 80% finished. The veneer should be applied tomorrow and then its just a matter of treating the veneer and one of them is finished. I filled any dents, holes in the second speaker tonight. The XO is proving a bugger to remove so this will back cut out later. The second speaker shouldn't take as long as the first now I have an idea of what I'm doing! Only one pick tonight.

This just shows a little more progress, tomorrow I'm hoping to have a few more hours on them.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast