+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JR149 - Restoration Thread

I'm Andrew.

Gotcha! Yeah you can still get them but personally I think it can get something similar for a lot less than the £30+ they are asking
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Time for another update. I have decided to clean one of the JR149's today and see what grime we can remove. I started by removing the bass driver and gently cleaning with cotton buds and some distilled water, this is the crud I removed from the perimeter of the speaker and the driver unit.

I also thought I'd check out the back of the driver to see if it needed a respray. Thankfully it was in great condition. I also gave the lead tags a quick go over with IPA.

I will be fetching my heat gun home tomorrow and hopefully getting rid of some of the crappy glue that speakers unfortunately have plastered all over them.

I've cleaned some of the foam off the front of one speaker and as you can see its still a bit of a mess, this will need more work.

I also decided to give one of the speakers a decent polish and again see what crap I could removed. Here is the result. This will probably need doing a few times to get the best results.

Tomorrow I will need to do some shopping as I can feel some restoration work is needed on some of the paint work and I will probably also spray the dampening material matt black. The screws will also be sprayed and the chrome screws cleaned so they are nice and shiny!! I will also need to buy some red dots to replace the dirty ones on the front of the speakers. Additional tasks include designing a new mounting bolt for the x-o. I have decided to get rid of the long run of thread which ran all the way through the speaker. I have listened with and without the thread and can hear no difference in how the speaker performs. I'm will be utilising non-magnetic aluminium when remounting the x-o. OK thats all for now.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andr'e.

To get that black plastic strip off the back you have to remove one of the boards then it will just slide off..

I'm Shane.

If you take away the threaded bar, what's holding the top and bottom plates on?
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Andrew.

The panels are still very much firmly in place, the threaded bar holds the xo in place under the base of the speaker. I can see where your coming from but in my pair of speakers it appears that it's not needed to hold the panels in place.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Another night and another small update. I usually spend one hor a night working on the speakers. Things have progressed a little more. I spent a little more time working on the steel cabinet last night and stripped some of the glue away.

I noticed a little repair job here, the black plastic trim needs glueing, where's my superglue!

I decided to clean and respray the base unit tonight. Here's what the inside of the base plate looks like after years of not being cleaned.

This is what it looks like after a decent clean and prep for respray

I had a look around the periphery of the base plate only to find multiple superficial scuffs.

The underside of the base plate didn't look too pretty.

I decided to mask this up and respray. Here's tonight's work

I intend to respray the whole base plate high gloss black. I applied the first coat about 15 minutes ago. It's touch dry in 45 minutes but ideally will need 3 hours. I'll probably apply another coat before I go to bed. I may apply a third but will see how things turn out. Thats's about it for tonight. Tomorrow I might start work on the veneer, this will needs filling in and sanding down. I then have to decide the finish I want and buy some decent oil.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andr'e.

They originally had small self adhesive pads on the base. You can buy something simular in a circular self adhesive Velour from Wilkinsons or if you want they sell them in cork or rubber..

I'm Andrew.

Really gotta picture??
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

ok see what you mean after a little googling. I will probably make 8 of these from some EVA.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andr'e.

It's not really worth farting about.. Fit them in a three point triangular configuration

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast