+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A fatal floor

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Given the finances and skill, many of us would dress and furnish a room so that speech sounds best to our ears. Acousticians tend to set a listening space up so that the performing (speaker) end is a little livelier than the listening/audience end, although this initially sounds odd in a domestic context. I was in such a custom room once and the interesting thing was that ALL the speakers there at various prices sounded amazing, but the expensive ones didn't really sound 'better,' just bigger and louder to me

Before condemning the carpet, can you try different style speakers? I don't know the D900, but the 700's were soft toned and fulsome in balance.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

The main issue with suspended floors will be bass issues - unless they are very well screwed, glued down - with too much bass or very boomy bass. However there are occasions when they can suck the bass up. with bass issues certainly using heavy thick granite or slate will sort that out but keep in mind that this will raise the height of the speaker and that can itself cause issues.

Concrete floors certainly - usually but not always - can give the best bass but overall much depends on the shape of the room, reflective surfaces etc as to how it will sound overall. Boast walls and suspended floors need not be a disaster if the system is tailored to the room.

There is no way of being sure how any room will sound until you get the equipment in place so sadly house hunting will guarantee nothing ultimately some of the best rooms in theory turn out to be a real problem child.

Regards Neil

I'm Mike.

When we moved I thought it was the room

Turned out to be the crappy mains, plus me running it on 4 way B&Q grade mains blocks
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Rich.

Concrete floors here and when we bought new carpet last year I went for thick underlay and deep pile, probably the flattest 'sounding' room in anywhere I've lived, this may well tame some of my systems more exuberant tendencies but the sound of the system is anything but flat!

Have my speakers also on composite chopping boards and the magic 5p pieces under the front spikes. As always Steve you'd be welcome to pop by any time for some prog banter and a listen.

Besides what's with these tannoys? Isnt that a bit of a turnaround for you, they must be good.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Steve.

They are Rich, bloody good.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Concrete floors here and when we bought new carpet last year I went for thick underlay and deep pile, probably the flattest 'sounding' room in anywhere I've lived, this may well tame some of my systems more exuberant tendencies but the sound of the system is anything but flat!

Have my speakers also on composite chopping boards and the magic 5p pieces under the front spikes. As always Steve you'd be welcome to pop by any time for some prog banter and a listen.

Besides what's with these tannoys? Isnt that a bit of a turnaround for you, they must be good.

I'm Richard.

Why not buy (or borrow?) a couple of sheets of hardboard or ply and lay them on the carpet. That way you can see if it really is the carpet. About £12, and if like me you regularly use sheet material, you can re-use the boards later. It would take a few minutes to move them in and out, and easy to do.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

I would have thought it would be all about the acoustics of the room rather than on what the speakers stand, assuming they already come with spikes.

What you need to do is buy a laminate disco floor - instead of a rug on laminate, a laminate square on carpet.

You might just get used to it though and find that an acoustically damped room allows more detail via fewer reflected sounds smearing the sound. At the moment, it's going to sound a bit strange because people generally don't like over-damped rooms psychologically and it would be reasonable for that unease in general to effect how you respond to the system.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12