+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Typical multi channel setup advice

I'm Alex.

Default Typical multi channel setup advice

Hi all,

I was after some advice. I have a set of front speakers i've built and plan to build some more and move the current ones to the rear. The current fronts are running off a Topping TP60 chipamp which i will keep running off when they become the rear speakers. Looking at getting a better 2 channel amp to run the new fronts.

So my system will comprise of:
    CD tranport - BMII DAC - Adcom GTP600 Pre - Future amp for new fronts/Topping for rears/Sub controlled by own amp.

I was going to by a Marantz Receiver as they seem to be the only ones that have pre-outs to run to my Adcom. I need something with HDMI as i want my PS3, BLU Ray player and media player all connected to the receiver, ythen the receiver to the TV.

I guess my question is, what are most people running in this situation. If you have a Preamp and Power amps, do you run a receiver? Or should i be looking at replacing the Adcom with a preamp/processor? Are there any recommended ones available with HDMI inputs? This would be ideal.

The Marantz receiver i am looking at is $900 anyway, so i thought i may be better off with a preamp/processor??? Any help would be great.

I'm Liam.

Do you need 3d pass through from your PS3 or Blu-ray?

If not, I used to have a Sony 2400es receiver and used it just via the pre-outs for years. Full HDMI switching and great sound. Quality build too.
    It did lack when I later tried it just in stereo though.

What it can't do is pass through a 3d signal via HDMI so if you don't need this they now are really reasonable second hand. I sold mine in the UK for £120. If you can get one where you live might be worth tracking down.

I'm Alex.

i guess i don't need 3D. I don't have the glasses for my TV anyway and it needs the active ones which are pricey so not wanting them any time soon.

I think the next TV i will get into the 3D so no need now.

That Sony looks good. Though i don't think it was sold in Australia. Can't see it on Sony's website so it will be hard to get hold of.

I'm Martin.

I don't understand the need to route the video signal through the amplifier. The only benefit is that you don't need to change inputs on the TV when switching between video sources but that is just one button press so no big deal.

Two alternative options

1) If using standard audio amplification with no digital processing then route video from the player/tv box straight to the monitor via HDMI and make all your audio settings in the player and connect to the amplification via analogue outs

2) If using an a/v receiver with digital processing route video from player/tv box straight to the monitor via HDMI, route audio straight to the a/v receiver via digital coax and make audio settings in the a/v receiver
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't understand the need to route the video signal through the amplifier. The only benefit is that you don't need to change inputs on the TV when switching between video sources but that is just one button press so no big deal.

Two alternative options

1) If using standard audio amplification with no digital processing then route video from the player/tv box straight to the monitor via HDMI and make all your audio settings in the player and connect to the amplification via analogue outs

2) If using an a/v receiver with digital processing route video from player/tv box straight to the monitor via HDMI, route audio straight to the a/v receiver via digital coax and make audio settings in the a/v receiver
    That's how I run at the moment. I have all my HDMI stuff into the TV and output sound via analogue or optical outs.

I'd prefer to have a receiver are cable management would be heaps better for my setup. I can still have a remote (most pre amps don't have them and my GTP600 won't last forever). And I'll have control over crossovers frequencies for my sub along with other bits receiver offer.

I have seen the Outlaw 975 and Emotiva UMC-200 processor/preamp setup which have HDMI. I think these sort of setups will beat suit me as there not much poi t paying for a receiver and having amplified outputs and that I won't need.

Is there any more other than these 2 for around the $400-$700 price range?

I'm Alex.

Well, i got hold of a barely used Emotiva UMC200 for a great price so this should be good.
    I'll get rid of the Adcom i got and run all my HDMI gear into the emotiva. I've read mixed reviews on these so will be interesting to see how it goes.

I'm Alex.

Australia Post lost my emotiva It was sent on the 18th of July and never came.

The seller is kindly refunding my money though which is nice.
    Looking at something up around $1000 no if anyone has any recommendations.

So far i am looking at:

Still the Emotiva UMC-200
    Nuforce AVP-18
    or some sort of home theater receiver with full pre outs (eg. Marantz SR5008).

Can anyone recommend what they'd do in my situation? Is a dedicated pre amp for $1000 going to offer a much better sound than using a $1000 AV receiver as a preamp?

I'm Pete.

Hi Guys, I understand the convenience of HDMI Amp switching, i run all my sources into the Yamaha RXV 3067 and run the switching through that. keeps the picture quality constant upscales the standard 1080i sky to p.

Also upscales the Wii from componant to HDMI makes life so much easier.

Personally i have just gone into 2 systems, spent a fortune on my Totem in walls and for AV they are great, but now added a "smaller" stereo system. Previously tried a similar thing with a roksan AV system and a tag pre/pro setup, the wife found it cumbersome to switch and could'nt get the "harmony remote thingy".

now she just walks in and switches the tv and the yamaha on and job done.

Depends on how easy you want it. Marantz are good, i prefer the yamaha, onkyo get good write ups, also had a Sony ES2400 to and was very good. AV pre amps no matter how musical thay are are not a substitute.

My Arcam A70 runs rings round a previously owned Arcam 350 for stereo!!!!!!!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo Bingo View Post
    Hi Guys, I understand the convenience of HDMI Amp switching, i run all my sources into the Yamaha RXV 3067 and run the switching through that. keeps the picture quality constant upscales the standard 1080i sky to p.

Also upscales the Wii from componant to HDMI makes life so much easier.

Personally i have just gone into 2 systems, spent a fortune on my Totem in walls and for AV they are great, but now added a "smaller" stereo system. Previously tried a similar thing with a roksan AV system and a tag pre/pro setup, the wife found it cumbersome to switch and could'nt get the "harmony remote thingy".

now she just walks in and switches the tv and the yamaha on and job done.

Depends on how easy you want it. Marantz are good, i prefer the yamaha, onkyo get good write ups, also had a Sony ES2400 to and was very good. AV pre amps no matter how musical thay are are not a substitute.

My Arcam A70 runs rings round a previously owned Arcam 350 for stereo!!!!!!!
    I have a yamaha at the moment but has no hdmi. I can't say i was overly impressed with it. But it seems that Marantz are one of the last ones to do preouts.

Which yamaha do you have?

I'm Alex.

OK, i've added the following to my list of receivers that have pre outs that i am looking at.

Any comments on what you think is the better way to go would be appreciated:

Marantz SR5008
    Marantz SR5009
    Cambridge Audio Azur 551R

These can all be bought here for around the $800-900 price range.

+ Reply to Thread