• 8 out of 10

0 0%
  • 9 out of 10

0 0%
  • 10 out of 10

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Album Club - Week 143: 29/04/2014: John Zorn - Taboo and Exile (1999)

I'm Tom.

I know I'm a little late to this party, but I saw it was Zorn album that I didn't recognise so couldn't resist.
    Bloody marvellous
    From the comments, I was expecting it to be more in keeping with his Naked City stuff (which I love), but it's a wider - and more interesting - spread of styles and genres. For those who aren't keen, maybe sample a little Torture Garden first, then come back to this - it'll sound positively melodious by comparison
    John, if you haven't already, check out his more recent 'Interzone' - cracking album, and similarly eclectic.

I'm David.

Not as bad as I'd expected, I found about 3 of the tracks quite listenable. But overall it was a stylistic mish-mash that made for a collection of pieces rather than a cohesive album. Not one that I'd listen to again.

I'm Lawrence.

I was pleasantly surprised by this album. The recording and performances are excellent and it kept my interest through to the end. Some of the tracks are quite hard work, such as The Possessed, but overall it was interesting and gave my system a good workout. It looks like I have quite a few other Zorn albums to try
    I am voting 7/10.

I'm paul.

First listen was challenging ,and it just got better from then on in , my kind of thing,on the hunt for an LP now.
    7/10 from me
    Paul
    Truth is always new, totally unknown, and unknowable. The mind must come to it without any demand, without any knowledge,without any wish; it must be empty, completely naked. Then only truth may happen. But you cannot invite it.
    JK Hamburg 1956,Talk 4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12