+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Croft integrateds vs pre-power combos

I'm Deba.

Default Croft integrateds vs pre-power combos

Anyone compared the Croft integrateds with the equivalent pre-power combos, i.e. - the standard entry level integrated with the 25pre/7power combo and the Integrated R version with the 25R/7R?

I have the 25R/7R and love it but never heard the integrateds. I am looking at the integrated for a friend in India and the single box solution makes it very attractive and practical to carry but wondering how much compromise in sound quality is involved compared to pre/powers?

I noted that the integrateds have a passive pre as opposed to the tube line stage of the standalone pres

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The stock integrated I heard isn't as good when pushed hard to me as the 25/7 combo and clips quite obviously. The pre and power do seem to have more headroom - just saying like...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Deba.

Thanks Dave
    I am not convinced by the idea of a passive pre in the integrated as well. I think the Croft 25 and 25R pres are both superb and if that pre module is not in the integrated, then not sure how it will sound

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The stock integrated I heard isn't as good when pushed hard to me as the 25/7 combo and clips quite obviously. The pre and power do seem to have more headroom - just saying like...

I'm Dave.

Both integrateds are excellent and if you want a one box amp, they are perfect. BTW, I sent one to India just after Christmas and the customer is delighted withe the way it performs through his Harbeths.

Not sure where you are but why not come over and do the comparison yourself ?

I'm Phil.

A while ago I asked the same question with Glenn Croft himself, this is his reply: "the Integrated amps are effectively power amps with a pot on the front end and as such are slightly compromised – an active pre-amp does work better because of the better impedance matching."

I'm Deba.

Hi Dave
    I am in London but looking at the integrated for a friend in India. I already have a 25R-7R combo which is superb.
    Thanks for the offer to demo and compare - makes sense.
    You're based in Essex - right? Not sure I'll have the time to get there but will try. Any chance of getting a home demo of an integrated to compare with my 25R/7R combo?
    By the way what do you find are the key sonic differences between the basic integrated and the R version?

Deba

Deba

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Both integrateds are excellent and if you want a one box amp, they are perfect. BTW, I sent one to India just after Christmas and the customer is delighted withe the way it performs through his Harbeths.

Not sure where you are but why not come over and do the comparison yourself ?

I'm Dave.

The r is fuller, richer, more body and prescence, slightly more refined.

Yes, Saffron Walden, NW Essex, 20 miniutes from junc.8 of the M11.

I'm Deba.

Cheers Dave
    I see your contact no on your website. Let me see my work schedule for the week tomorrow and I'll give you a call
    Deba

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The r is fuller, richer, more body and prescence, slightly more refined.

Yes, Saffron Walden, NW Essex, 20 miniutes from junc.8 of the M11.

I'm Dave.

Think you posted on the wrong thread Nigel, maybe needed to go onto Bevs thread ( your dream component)?
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by jollyfix View Post
    Think you posted on the wrong thread Nigel, maybe needed to go onto Bevs thread ( your dream component)?
    You are so right Dave.

Nigel.

+ Reply to Thread