+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling Central Scotland valve guru's..

I'm Gary.

Default Calling Central Scotland valve guru's..

Looking to upgrade my valve amp.
    Been measured by someone in the know and it measured well, true 240v supply. Bias is fixed manually with a trim pot.

Have a list of components Im going to get for it, but my main question is about valve choice.

Its a KT88 push-pull amp, and I would like to know if I can fit KT120's in there?
    I know its not a case of a straight swap, need to make sure amp can take them.
    If not, a fresh set of Gold Lion KT88's.

Possibly relevant forum commment here?
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=502990
    "Transformer won't saturate. In common push-pull circuit current from each tube compensates another, so there won't be constant magnetic field other than from difference between tubes. But still all that current will flow through windings. Here is the problem - if manufacturer decided to save copper, transformer may overheat due to high resistance and thus dissipated power."

and here...

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/inde...a-kt90-se-amp/
    "If you can find out the diameter of the winding wire used for the heater wind(s) I can figure out the maximum current available. Also if it has separate windings for the small signal tubes and output tubes?
    Also will need to know the HT supply voltage and max current available.
    From this I can figure out the bias current needed for best performance. I'm assuming the amplifier is fixed bias, meaning you manually set the bias.
    "

Is there anyone central Scotland(ish) who can measure the amp and can confirm if the transformer can handle the extra heater current of the KT120's?

Ali?
    Summit you can do?

thanks.
    gaz.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 21-04-2014 at 18:51.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gary.

Anyone?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Tom.

You could ask Guy at Puresound for his advice what to do Gary

He isn't Scottish of course

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Sorry mate, missed this first time around. Not sure how you would do this except by testing the mains tranny to destruction!

TBH, I'd stick with 88's. There's not really any easy way to measure what the max current output of the mains transformer is. Making a guess based on the gauge of the wire isn't really going to cut it. One way would be to remove the trannie, and send it away to have it copied, stipulating what the max current delivery you require is.

If you were confident of an honest answer, you could try contacting the amp manufacturer?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Effem View Post
    You could ask Guy at Puresound for his advice what to do Gary

He isn't Scottish of course
    No one's perfect.. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

Cheers Ali,
    knew it wouldn't be straightforward!

Given the amp weighs the best part of 5 stone and it measured well, could that suggest its well put together and the ironwork is strong (enough to take extra heater current?)
    Know it might be a case of try it and see.
    Nowt wrong with the KT88's, sound great love 'em, but changing valves COULD be a significant upgrade and could drive the Edingdales even better?
    Got that itch!

Bit of a risk mind, thinking if I'm getting a new set of valves at some point might just bite the bullet and get the KT120's.
    If the amp doesn't sit well with them can sell them on and revert to the 88's.

That's my thinking anyway, bit of a risk but the amp wont go bang...should know if the higher rated valves are too much before any damage done?

Emailed the manufacturer a couple of times but no response unfortunately.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm ILOB.

Speak to Anthony he has upgraded a few amps to use KT120 and 150s
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Gary.

Thanks John, forgot about Anthony.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Was just hoping there was someone nearer home who cold do the testing so I didn't have to post my amp off...
    That said, wonder how my wee T-Amp sounds hooked up to the Eddingdale's?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm inthescottishmafia.

And?

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast