+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leak 20 into Harbeth P3ESR

I'm Ian.

Default Leak 20 into Harbeth P3ESR

I'm currently selling my EAR Integrated as I wish to go back to Croft. Whilst it's boxed up I'm running a Leak 20 from the variable output of my Quad CD-P to drive my Harbs. Should 10w a side do the job ? Surprisingly yes. I have used this combo before with a pre amp in the mix but hadn't recalled how lush all sounded. Ok, I've not put any rock on yet and don't expect wonders when I do but for now I think I'll get by !

I'm Nodrog.

I find the Leak will drive almost anything and to decent levels too. I can never understand the need to have different amps for different music. 25 years of using the Stereo 20 has seen me through any type of music i wanted to play. I have only just found an amp that I prefer (Firebottle OTL)

The leak has driven all types of speaker in that time from the 57s though IMF transmission lines to LS3 5As, even some big old Tannoys (not my favourite). Enjoyed them all.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    I find the Leak will drive almost anything and to decent levels too.
    Yep, I agree with that.
    As a rule, I've found that power is overrated - pun intended - it can be very surprising how few watts most music actually needs into most speakers. The 10wpc from a Leak Stereo 20 can go a hell of a long way, as can the 8wpc from the small t-amps, for example.

I can never understand the need to have different amps for different music.
    Ah well, I disagree with that! I can give numerous examples of amps being very good at some types of music but not others.
    But the Leak is indeed one of the best all-rounders I have come across; gutsy enough for power music but subtley nuanced at lower levels for more delicate fare. --Not all amps can do that by any means - I suspect you've just hit it lucky with using that particular amp, Gordon.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Ah well, I disagree with that! I can give numerous examples of amps being very good at some types of music but not others.
    But the Leak is indeed one of the best all-rounders I have come across; gutsy enough for power music but subtley nuanced at lower levels for more delicate fare. -- I suspect you've just hit it lucky with using that particular amp, Gordon.
    Guess so. Since I found the Leak in the attic in a house I bought in Suffolk [ :-) ] I have used nothing else for any length of time. I have used different pre-amps with it with success. Quad 34 was OK but the Creek passive did a good job for me. Right now, its singing away upstairs with a Sugden C51 - sounds great into KEF 101s.

I'm Ian.

All interesting stuff and great to hear the experience of others. I'll put some Ramones or Led Zep on later ! My Leak is a Classique Sounds rebuild and I do rate Pauls work. Maybe I'll just get a Croft pre and be done with it.

I'm Martin.

Guess so. Since I found the Leak in the attic in a house I bought in Suffolk [ :-) ] .
    You lucky swine. I had a look in my attic once in the hope of finding treasure but there was nothing but a whole load of greasy black crap that rained down on me, I was in the shower for ages after trying to wash it out of my hair.

My experience has been that amps with quality power supply regulation will drive anything happily, watts per channel is a bit of a red herring. Traffos on the old Leak will be very good I suspect. On the other hand I would suggest that an amp/speaker combination that cannot do all types of music equally well is badly flawed somewhere.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    All interesting stuff and great to hear the experience of others. I'll put some Ramones or Led Zep on later ! My Leak is a Classique Sounds rebuild and I do rate Pauls work. Maybe I'll just get a Croft pre and be done with it.
    Now that does sound like a plan. I just got a rebuild kit from a place I can't remember and replaced like with like. Apart from a small fix for channel balance by Alan (Firebottle) recently, thats all I've needed to do in 25 years apart from one new set of valves.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You lucky swine.
    Yup. And..... the pre-amp, Troughline and Garrard 301

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    .... On the other hand I would suggest that an amp/speaker combination that cannot do all types of music equally well is badly flawed somewhere.
    Well, nothing is perfect - the trick is to find the combo that does best across the breadth of your musical tastes.

If I suddenly had a passion for techno-dance I'd definitely be investigating different amp capabilities --- I fondly recall a visiting Wammer bringing his re-fettled vintage New Zealand solid state muscle amp round (I forget what it was - Perreaux 2150b, that's probably it!) - My Gawd it was stunning with his dance music on my speakers; the slam and visceral impact of the bass was quite literally jaw dropping, I've never heard anything like it - but it screeched like hell on classical, awful!
    Horses for courses, Martin.
    Last edited by jandl100; 20-04-2014 at 09:31.

I'm Geoff.

Good trusty amp the Stereo 20. Fine sound too and it drives any speaker I've tried, including the notoriously insensitive @ 83db, Celestion SL600Si.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast