+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headphone advice

I'm Paul.

Default Headphone advice

Hi guys

I've been totally oblivious to the world of headphones since I bought my first Naim kit in the early 90's, but earlier today a mate of mine mentioned he had a pair of Stax and how good they were. In the interests of keeping my neighbours sweet I've come round to the idea that some audiophile headphones might be a worthwhile investment.

I've done a little research and so far I'm looking toward either getting a Naim Headline amp and pairing it with...? or going down the Stax route - (just seen a s/h Stax Classic SRS-3030 System II ).

If anyone's got any advice or recommendations - that would be much appreciated.

Ta

Be very interesting to hear the Stax, I've never heard a pair of Stax phones in my life. I always see people saying having Stax headphones is like having loudspeakers strapped to your head

Good luck.

Give the Sennheiser HD800 a try. Not sure about the Naim as a headphone amp however.

I'm Paul.

apologies to admin for posting this thread in the wrong section. I didn't see this before - i'll check out some of the previous headphone posts

thanks stan, i'll check out the HD800s

I'm Confused.

While this post is still open, can I ask the same question but limit the choices to 'closed' type headphones, so as not to upset the 'neighbour' (wife) sat in the same room.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave&Sue View Post
    can I ask the same question but limit the choices to 'closed' type headphones...
    Sennheiser HD280 or Denon AH-D2000. That's if you are after quality reproduction on two shoestrings.

Stan

I'm Steve.

I mucked around with various amps and phones - easy to buy and get posted and sell on...
    My phones / amp history.
    Grado SRS-125's with Creek amp

Senn HD-650's with Creek, Chineese J1, Little Dot 2 amps.
    Equation 3 RP-21 with MF X-cans V3 inc Rock Grotto mods.

Senn HD-650 with Graham Slee Solo inc PSU upgrade.
    AT ATH-W1000's (the woodies) with amps above

STAX SRS basic Earspeakers with SRM-310 amp combo.
    I've listened to other higher range models and with everything it is the law of diminishing returns.

Blew everything else I've tried / owned in to the weeds to be honest... Cheap too as a combo 2nd hand. Less than 2nd hand HD's or the ATH's with the Slee.
    Sound wise it is clearer, focus, full and with less distortion or sound the other make that I feel should not be there = distortion in my world.

For closed I would say push the boat out and get the recently introduced Stax closed phones. Not at all cheap though - that's what I'll be doing if they pay us a bonus this year...

I've auditioned the new Senns HD800's. Hard to tell in an audition but TBH I'm not hankering after a pair for that sound for that money.
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 04-07-2009 at 20:59.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Confused.

Thumbs up

Hi Stan,
    Thanks for that - you've made my day, probably even my month !!! Perhaps my ears are not so clothy after all. A couple of months ago I went to visit my local Richer Sounds (OK, not the best place but they let me audition every headphone they had, with my own music, for about an hour), and I came away with the Senn HD280 Pro, and I'm happy with them. I just wondered if a little more cash could have got me anything much better - it's reassuring that the answer is probably "No". The fact that you are happy with them, and presumably that means when used with the 7520, means that my teaming the two is fortuitous - great !!

Hi Steve (Speedy),
    Thanks for your input too - unfortunately I'm not in the closed Stax market, budget wise, but if you care to start a collection going for me, maybe .......

Cheers both,

PS Stan
    Anything further to add to our exchange yesterday (?) re the active sub-woofer?
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave&Sue View Post
    PS Stan
    Anything further to add to our exchange yesterday (?) re the active sub-woofer?
    Haven't come up with anything concrete yet. I'll send you a PM.

Stan

+ Reply to Thread