+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Renovation of Celestion 66 Studio Monitors

I'm James.

Ansar Supersound are very good

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thanks for the info on the caps, Ken - much appreciated. I'll sticky this thread for future reference.

Looks like things are progressing nicely with your own refurbishing project... I think you're going to end up with a really stonking pair of speakers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ken.

Thanks Marco

I only have room for one set of speakers, so it will be a shoot out between my Tannoy Cheviots and the 66's.

They are different designs and will do some things better than others so its the overall balance I will be looking at and which ever one I favour will be keepers.

Sorted out the Hosting issues - Normal service has resumed.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    +1
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

Default Grill Cloth

The grill cloth which came on the speaker frames is the original and while it is in very good condition for 40+ years old there is one defect.

The Treble has a window cut in the metal mesh frame directly in front of it; presumably the metal was blocking the sound.
    The cloth is unsupported in this are and is pinned in position by a few dabs of glue round the edge of the window, consequently the cloth does not stretch and move with the rest of the material.

The weave had become saggy and is not pulled tight so a few ripples can be seen.
    On examination of the cloth, I could see it has quite thick strands of plastic thread running throughout it. These may have stretched over time and due to pressure when being cleaned.

Knowing that plastic has a memory and when warmed will try to return to its original shape I grabbed my hot air paint stripper. It’s a fierce tool I know so has to be applied cautiously, I held the trigger down and let the temperature stabilize then waved it across my out stretched hand to gauge the distance were it would be HOT but not scorching, I didn’t want to melt a hole through the irreplaceable cloth. I waved it around the area of the window and like magic I could see the ripples flatten out as the weave tensioned up.

It’s stood overnight and both grills have remained flat, if I press on the cloth in the window it is no longer floppy and has some spring to it when you push against it. Job done and they now look perfect.

This is not for the faint hearted if you have a saggy window (Ooo Err Missus) and try to fix it in this way be very cautious in applying the heat and as soon as you see it flatten stop heating it.

A hot air gun will burn a hole through the cloth in seconds if applied incorrectly.

If you have a hair dryer, use the hot setting, this may be enough heat to do the job.
    As I am follicly challenged I don't own one and can't say for sure it will work as well.

SCREWS:

The screw inserts (T-Nuts) installed in the Baffle board are an imperial size, almost but not quite M5. Its so close that an M5 will go in a few turns before it jams. I want to fit new screws as the old zink plate has gone grey and in any case appart from the bass driver chassis everything else is black so black screws would be better for most fixings and stainless for the Bass driver. Imperial screws are available but not so much choice in finishes etc this side of the pond so I've changed over to M5. I didn't have to replace the T-Nuts, I just ran an M5 Tap through them while still installed and they work fine.
    Last edited by Qwin; 25-04-2014 at 17:28.

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    Too right James..Said this all along.
    Last edited by The Barbarian; 25-04-2014 at 17:56.

Ken, when it comes to the grilles, I've tried listening to the speakers with and without them over a long period of time, and in my opinion the 66s sound more balanced and natural with the grilles on.

See what you think, though!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andr'e.

Marco:
    This is true with my vintage Castles, i always now leave the grills on.. But this is obviously bound to be a criminal offence to audio buffs

I'm Tom.

Really nice pair of Ditton 66 right on my doorstep

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1412627317...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Marco:
    This is true with my vintage Castles, i always now leave the grills on.. But this is obviously bound to be a criminal offence to audio buffs

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast