+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Renovation of Celestion 66 Studio Monitors

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post

Before and after shots of one of the re-capped x-overs I completed today.
    Ive not really kept up with this thread but why do people fit Electrolytics to these Re-builds, i personally would never use them or is it cash constraint due to high part values that made you fit them? However that does not explain the small one across the top of the board!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Ive not really kept up with this thread but why do people fit Electrolytics to these Re-builds, i personally would never use them or is it cash constraint due to high part values that made you fit them? However that does not explain the small one across the top of the board!
    Because you cannot trade polys for electrolytics and expect the crossover point to remain the same. If they were voiced with electrolytics, then that's what you should use with a few exceptions. Also, some values manufacturer's used were fairly high in value and it could mean a lot of expense and more space usage than permissible by the current crossover housing in some speakers. Look closely at the photos and tell me where you can get a 72uF capacitor and what it would cost, then what the space usage would be with a grouped set of caps to make up that value, and also how would you deal with the difference in ESR between electrolytics and polys? The Alcap electrolytics available today can be supplied to tight tolerances and although they are not as stable or linear with temperature or frequency variation as Polys, they're pretty good. Add to that they cost very little and the question becomes "why not use them?"

I'm Ken.

Thanks for the comments gents.

Andre - I've fitted electrolytics where they were fitted in the first place.

If you just fit Polyprops where Lytics used to be you can compleatly screw up the circuit as Polyprops behave in a very different fashion.

You have to add additional resistors in series for every Poly prop fitted to try and make up for their lower ESR value, but this is only a partial fix as the Lytics are non linear and are effected by temperature, load and frequency in a major way compared to the Polyprops.

Circuits designed using Lytics have been tailored for the way they work.

If you replace all the Lytics with Polyprops you may have to compleatly re think the circuit design to maintain x-over points, impedance behavior and relative loudness of the driver combinations. It gets VERY complicated and without measuring equipment and the knowledge to use it, you can spend months going round in circles wondering why they don't sound the same as they used too. The Polyprops may sound cleaner and more transparent, but the balance and quite often the magic will have gone.

The reason I used the Polyprops in the HF section is that these were a film cap originaly that behaved more like a modern Polyprop.

The more I dabble with x-overs, the more I realize that these differences have major repercusions.

EDIT: Oooops I see Paul answered in a similar way while I was typing. Thanks for that Paul, you first raised my attention to this and I am finding with experimentation and actual results that it is the case.

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Because you cannot trade polys for electrolytics and expect the crossover point to remain the same. If they were voiced with electrolytics, then that's what you should use with a few exceptions.
    Is that so Well ive rebuilt loads of vintage X -Overs with just PP they have always been a vast improvement. One thing i don't do & thats take advice from forum posters because i don't need to. I use one brand of PP always have always will do, all other sound cack to me regardless of their boutique price tag..

Let me think now Martin T re-built his Gale '401' crossovers with just PP guess what he's happy, i use three different pair of speakers with full PP rebuilds guess wat im more than happy.. Just done my mates speakers too guess what he's over the moon.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Is that so Well ive rebuilt loads of vintage X -Overs with just PP they have always been a vast improvement. One thing i don't do & thats take advice from forum posters because i don't need to. I use one brand of PP always have always will do, all other sound cack to me regardless of their boutique price tag..

Let me think now Martin T re-built his Gale '401' crossovers with just PP guess what he's happy, i use three different pair of speakers with full PP rebuilds guess wat im more than happy.. Just done my mates speakers too guess what he's over the moon.

Yes, that is so and just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it less so. You asked the question so why so aggressive when you're given the answer? Up to you if you ignore advice freely given and in an attempt to be helpful.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Here's a pic of my (totally stock) 66s, in situ in our downstairs lounge, where about 75% of my listening is done these days:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Yes, that is so and just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it less so. You asked the question so why so aggressive when you're given the answer? Up to you if you ignore advice freely given and in an attempt to be helpful.
    Indeed.

Andre, your response to Paul, dude, was unnecessarily confrontational. He was only offering his relevant experience, in order to try and help, which although contrary to yours in this instance, was equally as valid

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ken.

Nice Walnut finish on the 66's Marco, suits the room.

Isolation platforms? Look different to the ones in the Scalford Pictures.

I need to knock some platforms up for NEBO4, I have the moulds 50% complete and will be casting them in concrete.

The design is 75mm thick and the same shape as the speaker, with the small flats on the two front edges. They have carpet spikes in each corner on the underside which are adjustable through holes in the top face and a leveling bubble mounted in the centre of the top face.

My speakers have 3 of those Soundcare spike/shoe assemblies fitted and these will sit on the Plinth.

Pictures of the plinth build will follow.

Hi Ken,

Cheers. They're pretty minty, although could do with a little attention here and there, in order to really bring them up like new!

The Mana 'platforms' are indeed different than those we used at Scalford. The ones pictured above are what's known as 'Mini Soundbases', designed to be used under tall floor-standing speakers, and suit the 66s perfectly.

At Scalford (as I didn't have the Mini Soundbases then) we used ones which are normally used under Krell power amps, so they were totally oversized, but fulfilled a purpose!

The 66s undoubtedly sound much better on top of some type of properly designed stands/plinths, rather than simply plonked on the floor, as they would've been originally used, and probably why some folk complained of 'boomy bass'. That just doesn't happen when they're properly supported and driven by an amplifier with suitable 'grip' and slam!

Look forward to seeing your plinth build in due course.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

It's a question you could ask about a lot of vintage speakers. Celestion did not just ship them out without listening. These are from well before the day of boxcalc and so forth. So what did the engineers do for stands when testing?
    Probably just the castor feet. And bell-wire speaker cable.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast