+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Renovation of Celestion 66 Studio Monitors

I'm John.

Thanks Ken.....my 66s are on what I think might be granite chopping boards.
    We'll be up your neck of the woods in middle of October to watch Leicester play at Newcastle....

Cheers
    John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Ken.

Default Update

That's the first of the plinths completed, spirit bubble set into the top and carpet spikes installed and adjusted through the four holes in the top face. Each plinth weighs over 20Kg.

I'm pleased with the appearance, I think the base compliments the speaker.
    The spikes have been adjusted so the base is only just clear of the carpet, which makes it look well anchored visually and not floating. The thickness of the base and the gap created by the "Soundcare" feet, have good proportions and work well together. It only remains for me to complete the second plinth which is out of the mould and requires finishing cosmetically.

I'm James.

Those look fantastic Ken, you do lovely work !

I'm Deleted.

Yep - lovely job. Do the speakers just rest on the plinths?
    Account Deleted

I'm Ken.

The speaker base has three of these Soundcare feet fitted (a spike which carries its own shoe).

These have felt on the underside and they just sit on the plinth.

I'm John.

I have to say that this has been one of the best threads on AOS ......nice work Ken.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.

I'm Ken.

Thanks everyone - Need to do the final tweeking of the x-overs in time for NEBO4 (bake off), they are very close to optimum I recon.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    The speaker base has three of these Soundcare feet fitted (a spike which carries its own shoe).

These have felt on the underside and they just sit on the plinth.

Ken, why 3 Soundcare feet per speaker base rather than 4?

Cheers
    John
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.

I'm Ken.

If you use 4 feet you have to adjust them for even minor variations in surface flatness or they will rock on three of the feet. If you don't have equal pressure on all four feet they don't contact correctly due to weight distribution in the rectangular layout pattern, which defeates the point in terms of creating good solid contact to produce good bass.

3 feet equally spaced don't have to be adjusted, they will allways sit with the weight on all the feet and will not rock. This is why a milking stool has three feet and a camera tripod etc. It is the most stable number possible.

The 3 feet I used are fixed on the bottom of the speaker and are equal height. In their make up they have a shoe attached that swivels to conform to any surface irregularities, which are few as the top surface of the plinth was, by design, moulded against the flat melamine base board, but still, it means they allways make optimum contact.

I leveled the first plinth using it's built in bubble and placed a speaker in position, I then put a spirit level on top of the speaker, it was perfectly level and did not rock having a very solid feel to it.

Long winded explanation, but I thought long and hard before making the decision. I also considered using three feet on the plinth but found through previous experience it wasn't needed, as there is sufficient weight and enough complience in the carpet/underlay for the four spikes to have a good amount of contact when adjusted correctly and no rocking. Once in position they are less likely to be moved and the speaker can be lifted on and off without any adjustment and remain stable, level and rock solid.

I'm John.

Thanks Ken, very clear when explained. I should have listened more at school!

Cheers
    John
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast