+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IMF tls 80 problem

I'm mike.

Default IMF tls 80 problem

Recently acquired a pair of tls 80 speakers, bass and mid work but tweeter and super-tweeter do not, I removed the tweeter to test and it showed 6ohm, this is the same on both speakers.
    Anyone had experience with these that could offer some advice.
    Cheers
    Mike.

I'm Martin.

problem is possibly the crossover then. Has it been rebuilt before or is it original?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

The HF1300 tweeters are measuring about right if I recall. The supertweeters should be HF2000 I think and those probably measure slightly less.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

I used to own a pair a few years ago. Ani right in thinking there's a knob on the back for the treble level? Might be dirty, try turning it back and forth several times (or several dozen!) and see if you get some sound out of the tweeters.

Failing that could be a broken knob, loose wire or failed component on the crossover.

I'm mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I used to own a pair a few years ago. Ani right in thinking there's a knob on the back for the treble level? Might be dirty, try turning it back and forth several times (or several dozen!) and see if you get some sound out of the tweeters.

Failing that could be a broken knob, loose wire or failed component on the crossover.
    No knob, and x,overs look original.

I'm mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    problem is possibly the crossover then. Has it been rebuilt before or is it original?
    X,overs look original, seems odd that it's not putting sound to the tweeters.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by 09mike69 View Post
    X,overs look original, seems odd that it's not putting sound to the tweeters.
    Could be a broken trace on the board, or failed components. Mine were working but way out if tolerance so require a complete re-build, that's where you need to start.

Falcon Acoustics sell all the parts.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

It is unusual for two speakers to exhibit identical 'symptoms', perhaps they have been tinkered with. If the tweeters and supertweeters show a reasonable DC resistance when measured, they may be OK and any faults could lie with the wiring or crossovers. I'd check everything for electrical continuity and check the crossover component values. Remaking all soldered joints may help.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It is unusual for two speakers to exhibit identical 'symptoms', perhaps they have been tinkered with. If the tweeters and supertweeters show a reasonable DC resistance when measured, they may be OK and any faults could lie with the wiring or crossovers. I'd check everything for electrical continuity and check the crossover component values. Remaking all soldered joints may help.
    That was my thought, also the positive wire going to the tweeter is wired to something on the back of the baffle then returns to the tweeter?!
    Spoke to falcon acoustics and apparently this is not normal.
    A bit more investigation when I get home.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by 09mike69 View Post
    No knob, and x,overs look original.
    Odd the photos on the net show a knob between the banana sockets can you post a photo of the sockets?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast