These are the Celestion 66 Studio Monitors I purchased off Fleabay.
They have very nice cabinets with good original grill cloth and badges, I got them for a ridiculously low price. The following is the story of their renovation back to full working order.
They are an early version unofficially referred to as Mk I.
When you take the grills off they don't look so smart and certainly look their age.
The drivers show all the signs of being stored for years unused.
The tweeter covers had unglued themselves and were lying inside the main grill covers.
Here is where things get ugly, both bass drivers have perished surrounds, but I knew that when I bought them, that's why they were so cheap. Within a minute of winning them in an auction on Fleabay I also had an offer of £80 accepted for a pair of early 66 bass drivers that looked in great condition, they will be going in as soon as possible. Strangely enough the two original drivers still measure the correct resistance so I will keep them for now.
That's the first cabinet stripped out and ready for work to start.
First thing I did was paint the horrible white glue line around the edge of the baffle board. Some satin black and an artists brush did the trick. The sides and back of the cabinet seem relatively stiff and resonance free. The top and bottom seem very boxy when you give them the old knuckle wrap - I will be applying a bitumen dead sheet to both.
As you can see my workshop - err kitchen - is in a bit of a mess at the moment, sooo many projects.
That's the x-over, confirming they are an early (Mk I) version. It's taken as a wiring reference should I forget how it all goes back together. I will be keeping everything pretty much as original as a first step. Once I have got used to how they sound I will consider upgrades such as re capping and even the tweeter upgrades. For now I will simply renew the puny internal wiring and the binding posts, as one of my posts is broken.
More to follow………..