Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
Darren - Yes just the coils mounted on their circumference so rectangular in plan view.
So it was a stupid question . Maybe this is too, but why 5 instead of 3?

A PP works in the series location only in the midrange filter, don't add any ESR compensating resistors though.
The 24/30uf Elcap used in this location was LL so less ESR anyway.
Interesting, I'll have to try it.

In this location I've tried both PP and several make of electrolytic and combinations of both and different makes of PP.
The Ansar is my favourite of what I tried, and is not too big either. A Solen PP for instance, sounds similar to an Alcap Lytic in this location, very little difference between the two.
Did you notice any difference in bass? I thought it noticeably tighter when using a PP instead of an Alcap but this was in a different pair of 44's so not sure if this was due to differences between the two (different cabinet construction, wiring and sound deadening).

If you use a PP you will need the L-Pad in the mid range or the mids are too forward.
I found the same myself, I thought the speakers had far better driver integration using the Alcaps, I wasn't sure if this was due to using a 27uF PP (as per the DIYAudio mod) as I used 3 x 10uF Alcaps (to keep with original values) in the second pair.