+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not hifi but, TV sound.

I'm martin.

Default Not hifi but, TV sound.

A colleague at work has been thinking about a sound bar to improve the tv sound but hasn't the cash to buy a quality unit, I got thinking about this and reckon I just might be able to lay my hands on a couple of those nice little Bose square speakers from a surround system, if I couple them using a headphone lead with two tails for individual cans then plug this into the headphone socket on the telly anyone think will this result in an improvement.?
    Thanks for your patience guys
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I believe Yamaha do acceptable sound-bars....

Bose satellite speakers have absolutely no bass at all (or lower mid for that matter) so relults will be very variable. May be worth a try though..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Julian.

You don't need lots of cash to make a big upgrade on TV sound - I bought an old QED amp for £30 from Gumtree and a pair of lovely small Denon / Mission speakers for around £20 off ebay - job done ...
    Better than any soundbar I would reckon ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by archiesdad View Post
    A colleague at work has been thinking about a sound bar to improve the tv sound but hasn't the cash to buy a quality unit, I got thinking about this and reckon I just might be able to lay my hands on a couple of those nice little Bose square speakers from a surround system, if I couple them using a headphone lead with two tails for individual cans then plug this into the headphone socket on the telly anyone think will this result in an improvement.?
    Thanks for your patience guys
    2nd hand amp and speakers will surely out perform a sound bar for less money won't it ?
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Alex.

I have a Yamaha YAS-101, which i like quite a lot. It has the benefit of not needing an extra subwoofer as it produces a quite reasonable amount of bass itself. I'm not really into AV, and was never in the market for a high-performing 5.1 or sub/sat-type solution.

Having said all of theat, I find the little Yamaha works really well for my limited needs. Volume limits are higher than I expected - ok, it isn't going to replace a 5.1 system, but as a way to improve the crappy quality of most flat screen TVs, it meets my needs very well. The only real limitation is on the number of inputs, but if your TV has a digital output (and most do) then you are fine.

Dialogue is clear, and there is a suprising amount of bass extension. If you can pick one up cheaply then buy with confidence. I have seen them for as little as £129 online.
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

+ Reply to Thread