+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Khozmo Mkii Stepped attenuator

I'm Paul.

REFFC wrote:
    That's a joke, right?

I doubt it's a joke. While what you write might be correct objectively, for the sake of clarity, the manufacturer did me the favour of giving his view of the effects on my very particular system --with sensitive / revealing single driver horn loudspeakers-- of the standard Shunt unit with SMD resistors and also one fitted with Takman REX resistors. On 7 November, Arek wrote with this guidance, "The Takman REX upgrade gives warmer sound. There are more bass but seems to be less controlled. Zfoil upgrade give more details and neutrality". That comment on the Takman REX resistor echoed others who know my system. Of course I am keen to avoid going backwards, as we all are, wanting to enhance sound while reducing the risk of a wrong turn, which in my case, could effect a deflating loss of bass heft and impact through horns. Thanks for your note.

I'm Paul.

Thank you Black Adder, it's helpful to read your notes. I have a Croft pre also, with horns that can be sensitive, negatively, to changes that more conventional speaker systems would simply shrug off. Thus my interest in other Croft pre and / or horn users' findings. Of course, systems behave differently, so I will only know by trying. Glenn wrote today that electrically,

I was interested to read ANTHONY TD's note above, "I agree, Ie; Shunt type Attenuators. I tried them in a couple of preamps, but they just seem to sit on the dynamics, unless you played loud, the series version [IMHO] is great, especialy if your using them in the front end of a valve preamp".

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi Paul,
    Yes, I was relating to conventional Valve preamps, where the input resistance on the shunt type, and to a point, the type of resistor used, has a very marked affect on the sonic presence, and performance.
    Hope this helps.
    A...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul4972 View Post
    Thank you Black Adder, it's helpful to read your notes. I have a Croft pre also, with horns that can be sensitive, negatively, to changes that more conventional speaker systems would simply shrug off. Thus my interest in other Croft pre and / or horn users' findings. Of course, systems behave differently, so I will only know by trying. Glenn wrote today that electrically,

I was interested to read ANTHONY TD's note above, "I agree, Ie; Shunt type Attenuators. I tried them in a couple of preamps, but they just seem to sit on the dynamics, unless you played loud, the series version [IMHO] is great, especialy if your using them in the front end of a valve preamp".
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul4972 View Post
    REFFC wrote:
    That's a joke, right?

I doubt it's a joke...
    ...the manufacturer did me the favour of giving his view of the effects on my very particular system...
    I'll back up Paul from Reffc. The idea that one brand of resistor has more bass than another is well into snake oil territory in my opinion.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I'll back up Paul from Reffc. The idea that one brand of resistor has more bass than another is well into snake oil territory in my opinion.
    +1 Beyond snake oil territory in fact.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Josie.

Snake Oil... I don't touch it. I'm tea total, proper builders tea too!

More bass? I agree a resistor isn't particularly tuned to a certain frequency, that does sound very far fetched. But an a difference in presentation/balance, small as it may be IME is possible.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Paul.

I can do without snake oil, unless its good for hair loss or other health benefit. All I know is that horn loudspeakers can be quite a bit more sensitive than conventional loudspeaker systems to seemingly very minor moves. Thanks everyone for input.

I'm Edward.

I've had various custom audio stuff from Paul Baldwin.

Here is his lower price passive preamp.

http://www.reelaudio.co.uk/P3S.shtml
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Panos.

I am coming a bit too late in this interesting discussion about pots and passive attenuators. As an owner of a Croft Micro 25RSLS (line only), I wonder whether it would be worthwhile upgrading the Croft pots with Khozmo's passive attenuators (what type actually?) or try to completely substitute the Croft preamp with a Khozmo passive dual-mono preamp. https://khozmo.com/dual_mono_selector.html

Any clues from Croft owners and others?

Thanks in advance.

Panos
    System1: Lenco L75 with custom plinth, SLAT, sph bearing, SG4 external power supply + Alfred Bokrand AB-309 tonearm + Denon DL103R (aluminum body) + Well Tempered 12" tonearm clone + Denon DL103R (wooden body), ASR Mini Basis Exclusive HV, Marantz CD6005, LAB12 DAC1 SE+, Hattor BIG passive + active pre, Lab12 Suono power amp, Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge, LAB12 Gordian, Belden 8428, Black Cat Red Level Triode, LAB12 Knack MkII

System 2: Roksan Xerxes original (HiFi Inspire plinth) with Maxon ReMax motor + Audiomods Series6 + Ortofon Cadenza Black microridge retipped, ASR Mini Basis Exclusive, Marantz CD6003, Croft Micro25R + Series7R monoblocks (110W/ea), Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniv.

System 3: Marantz CD6003, Croft SuperMicroII ('R' spec by Croft, Tesla E83CC in phono)+ Series7, Snell Type EII (with bypass caps, new internal wiring, WBT nextgen 0703Cu), Mark Grant HDX1, Atlas Hyper 3.0

I'm Alan.

The cheapest upgrade you could do is to change the pots in the Croft for conductive plastic pots, such as these :

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDeta...f%2fbxv2Axs%3d

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast