+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When you think you

MartinT Guest

There are some...

...such as the Helius arm I mentioned.

I'm John.

I have heard numerous systems that are better than mine and conversely a good many that are far worse, some that I just wouldn't be able to live with.

That being said I have reached a point with the couple of rigs I own that I can listen to an array of different musical genres and thoroughly enjoy the results, for me that was my main ambition.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    There are some...

...such as the Helius arm I mentioned.
    Unmitigated Pishanto?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

I would like to hear some other systems but it is difficult finding anyone else with a system at all in my social group. I am in Birmingham area so if any AOS folk would like a guest listener please post me:eyebrows
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Unmitigated Pishanto?

Marco.
    Some Helius arms did have shaky construction indeed. However the newer ones are leagues ahead.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

I use the opportunity as an open minded learning situation. Listening to different kit in different rooms is always educational.

Often room issues hold systems back, as do poorly matched equipment, however sometimes the sound, while poor and lacking for the visiting listener is exactly what the owner of the system wants, so is it a failure because we don't like it? Not necessarily entirely if it floats the boat of the owner. Sadly suggestions of how to improve things is not always asked for, or indeed welcome if offered. I guess in away systems are like children, the parents are proud, sometimes have selective, or parental blindness and don't want the flaws of their precious one analysed or mentioned.

I have often heard systems that are slightly better, better in some areas not others, and vastly better and sometimes for less money than the net-worth of my system. As I said above I view it as a learning experience and its often fun to try and figure out what's going on, is wrong, from my perspective of course.

Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Good post Neil.

I have heard many systems that in some respects are clearly better than mine: usually in bass extension and weight as well as dynamic range. But they are often compromised in other areas that are important to me: clarity and neutrality and focus.

As such, whilst initially impressed when I return to my own system I do not find myself disappointed. I hope this doesn't come across as sounding smug; my system has many faults, but I have learnt to live with its shorcomings for it does do well. And it provides me with enormous pleasure; being in use for several hours a day when I'm at home.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123