+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice on getting best from battered 1210

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ok then, let's give you the biggest 'bang for your buck' we can for that sort of dosh! I'll come back with some reccos later

Marco.

System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Donny.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Structurally these turntables are easy enough to work on and I'm sure there's plenty of knowledge here among members and on the net if you need a tip or two.
    This was a major deciding factor for me, there's so much information (and enthusiasm) online about how to service these machines, plus they don't seem too temperamental.

As the thread's gone slightly wayward, can I just repost my questions from post #7 as they haven't been addressed by anyone yet:
    -----------
    Regarding the feet... I assume what the deck is sitting on may affect the sound too? (regardless of feet). eg... it's currently on a wooden sideboard. and my house has suspended wooden floors, there's really nowhere 'solid' to house the deck. Any suggestions for better siting, or will just using the suggested feet sort me out?

I had considered moving the PSU outside, but it's a real big decision for me as I much prefer the practicality of everything sitting together in one unit. Are there any mods that isolate the existing onboard PSU better? (lead casing, lol ) Anyone know of any before and after (recorded/waveform) examples of the difference it makes by taking the PSU outside?

Again, for convenience I'd like to put a hinged lid on the deck, do I run any risk of attracting unwanted noise by fitting a lid?
    Also I've seen mods for routing the earth wire to one of the phonos. Good idea or not?

When it comes to the actual ripping, my current facility stands at going through a Cambridge Audio P25 Mk2 amp, and into my MacBook Pro/Audacity. I'm sure there's much better options?? I'm a bit suspicious of using USB for audio, just seems more processing, less direct?
    --------

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by 33 1/3 View Post
    Regarding the feet... I assume what the deck is sitting on may affect the sound too? (regardless of feet). eg... it's currently on a wooden sideboard. and my house has suspended wooden floors, there's really nowhere 'solid' to house the deck. Any suggestions for better siting, or will just using the suggested feet sort me out?

I had considered moving the PSU outside, but it's a real big decision for me as I much prefer the practicality of everything sitting together in one unit. Are there any mods that isolate the existing onboard PSU better? (lead casing, lol ) Anyone know of any before and after (recorded/waveform) examples of the difference it makes by taking the PSU outside?

Again, for convenience I'd like to put a hinged lid on the deck, do I run any risk of attracting unwanted noise by fitting a lid?
    Also I've seen mods for routing the earth wire to one of the phonos. Good idea or not?

When it comes to the actual ripping, my current facility stands at going through a Cambridge Audio P25 Mk2 amp, and into my MacBook Pro/Audacity. I'm sure there's much better options?? I'm a bit suspicious of using USB for audio, just seems more processing, less direct?
    --------
    The original feet are an abomination - there's no more apt word to describe them.
    They have a negative effect on sound quality.
    Sorbethane pods are recommended, but Isonoe feet take things to a higher level.

Getting the transformer and PSU board out from under the platter is highly recommended for a reason.
    It is a very worthwhile modification.

As for the lid, when playing records it should be removed.
    I've found this with every turntable I've used in the last 15 years, and this is no exception.
    That said, the Technics lid is easy to pull off and refit to the deck.
    Just take it off when the deck is in use.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm keiron.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The original feet are an abomination - there's no more apt word to describe them.
    I recently purchased a set of Isonoe feet. I cannot hear any difference whatsoever between them and the original feet.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Ah, but if the Isonoes had been supplied with a nice wee bit of paper, with graphs and squiggly lines on it, showing 'measureable proof' of their efficacy, by now you'd have been hearing all sorts of stuff!!

Only kidding

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
    I recently purchased a set of Isonoe feet. I cannot hear any difference whatsoever between them and the original feet.
    What would be interesting to know is whether your TT was already well isolated. If it was then naturally you would struggle to hear a difference.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm keiron.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    What would be interesting to know is whether your TT was already well isolated. If it was then naturally you would struggle to hear a difference.
    It's plonked on a VERY heavy DIY MDF cabinet, which houses all my hifi and AV equipment. Weighs a ton. I don't know whether that's a food or bad thing - I know some people recommend lightweight shelves - but when I place my hand on it, I can't feel any vibrations at all. Not very scientific, I know, but hey, this is the Art of sound forum

That said, I've always thought that it's the airborne vibrations which would surely do as much damage as those coming up through the feet of a turntable?

I'm not sure what surface Stratmangler must have his turntable on to achieve the staggering improvements he implies by simply changing the feet. I'd be interested to know.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

It's on a slate shelf, mounted in a Target wall mount.
    The Target unit has been drilled and filled with expanding foam to squash resonances, and there are RDC cone cups between the shelf and the spikes on the frame.
    The slate shelf also has a few self adhesive bitumen pads on its underside, again to control resonances.
    It's a solid, massy, non resonant construction.

When I first got my Techie I compared the stock feet with sorbethane hemispheres, and the stock feet never made it back onto the deck.
    The Isonoes were a slight improvement over the sorbethane hemispheres.

I have never, ever said that the Isonoes produced staggering improvements - those are your words.
    I do stand by my assertion that the orinal feet are an abomination, and the negative aspects they bring to the party are easily overcome by removing the stock feet and putting sorbethane hemispheres in place of the stock feet.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm keiron.

It's on a slate shelf, mounted in a Target wall mount.
    The Target unit has been drilled and filled with expanding foam to squash resonances, and there are RDC cone cups between the shelf and the spikes on the frame.
    The slate shelf also has a few self adhesive bitumen pads on its underside, again to control resonances.
    It's a solid, massy, non resonant construction.
    One would have thought with such an effective platform already in place, that the feet would have had little impact. But then i am blessed with cloth ears, for which my bank account is very grateful

I have never, ever said that the Isonoes produced staggering improvements - those are your words.
    I do stand by my assertion that the orinal feet are an abomination, and the negative aspects they bring to the party are easily overcome by removing the stock feet and putting sorbethane hemispheres in place of the stock feet.
    To be fair, as I said, you did imply the improvements were enormous: given that you consider the original feet an "abomination" then it's a reasonable assumption!

FWIW, I tried sorbothane feet too (quite shallow Foculpods which I usually use under my speakers) - again, I discerned no difference between them and the stock feet.

As far as I can tell, the stock feet have some kind of "damping" in there? The bolt does seem to move a little when jiggled about.

Anyway, if the OP wishes, he can purchase my Isonoe feet for the same price I paid Marco and try for himself.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
    I don't know whether that's a food or bad thing.
    I wouldn't recommend eating it!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast