Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Thinking of a couple of new interconnects

I'm Kevin.

Default I'm Thinking of a couple of new interconnects

I'm thinking of upgrading a couple of my interconnects.
    What I am interested to know is just how much "better" the Graham Slee CuSat or REFFC Pluto will be than something like a VDH D102 mk III.

What will the new cables do for my system? It seems that they are based on a high quality coax, so what are the major benefits?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Phil.

the only way to try is to buy
    I love my van den hul first ultimate but the RFC Neptune [£]100 has done very good service between 20k`s worth of amps for some months !!! good vfm
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

MartinT Guest

Kevin, it's very hard to make any sort of recommendation based on so little information. Between which components? What are you using at the moment? How do you find its sound, and what are you expecting from new interconnects that improves on it? Finally, what is your budget?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

My own take on this is that in the wide scheme of things, wanky wires, plugs and kettle leads make either naff-all difference unless you're 'tuned-in' to these tiny if not imagined differences (either that or the gear they're used with is sub-standard on some way...), due to the speaker/room interface usually being total cack in most cases domestically.

My advice is to start with a really good £20-ish interconnect from an online maker (MG, NVA, Flashback all do suitable candidates) and proceed from there, making sure you can return the cables if you don't like them. For fifty to one hundred notes, the choice opens further and there a at least a couple more people you could add to the list (RFC?) possibly. Much more than that and you're into foo territory IMO.
    Last edited by Marco; 09-04-2014 at 18:23. Reason: Factually incorrect information removed
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

MartinT Guest

All good advice, Dave, but it's still hard to advise Kevin without knowing some parameters. Mark Grant G1000HD would be my default excellent cable for not a lot of money, then take it from there.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Certainly cables made by the seller, RFFC, MCRU, Mark Grant etc etc are going to far better value than those made by a brand and sold by a dealer...

I'm Kevin.

I want some interconnects to run between my Reflex M phono stage into my Solo Ultra Linear headphone amp, running HD650's. This is what I listen to my SL1200 (MNB, FX1200 + 2M Black etc.) on most, as it does not disturb the Mrs too much. The platter will also be upgraded, but I am not sure with which one yet!

The plan is to sort this out with two cables (as it passes through the amp).
    After this is done, my next stage will be to start looking at what else needs doing to my system, but that will be the subject of another thread.

Budget? Happier closer to £100 a set, but if the difference is not subtle, I am prepared to go slightly higher, but not much. Obviously, the cheaper the better as I am on my continued search for best bang for my buck.

I was thinking of either the CuSat (trial cables incoming), Pluto MkII, Super Sound Cords or MG G1500HD. I also have some trial cables coming from MCRU, but I have no idea what they are yet.
    I'm staying away from the main stealers if at all possible. I have learnt that lesson, which is why I stopped buying HiFi mags years ago.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    My own take on this is that in the wide scheme of things, wanky wires, plugs and kettle leads make either naff-all difference unless you're 'tuned-in' to these tiny if not imagined differences (either that or the gear they're used with is sub-standard on some way...), due to the speaker/room interface usually being total cack in most cases domestically.

My advice is to start with a really good £20-ish interconnect from an online maker (MG, NVA, Flashback all do suitable candidates) and proceed from there, making sure you can return the cables if you don't like them. For fifty to one hundred notes, the choice opens further and there a at least a couple more people you could add to the list (RFC?) possibly. Much more than that and you're into foo territory IMO.

P.S. AVOID INTERCONNECTS BOUGHT FROM DEALERS, as they will almost certainly garner a 60% profit margin for said dealer (75% for Black Rhodium if stocked in quantity). The choice is yours...
    Dave you are WRONG about margins, please do not post information that is plainly mis-leading and factually in-correct.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Please, I didn't mean to say main dealers are 'stealers' at all, but knowing the very slow business many of them are doing (and a few of our favourites here couldn't really make a good living out of it nowadays unless they did it from home and mainly online...), I do understand that they need the huge markups to help make up for lack of business. HOWEVER, we at AOS are truly blessed with the likes of Mark Grant, who doesn't rip off on the HD1000. The HD1500 is the price the original HD1000's were IIRC and the only thing I question is the huge price of the 2000's - all for a set of wanky phono plugs that may well be bettered by the new Eichman designed ones at £40 a set - Hmmm...

Here's the above being typed by a twonk who is seriously considering two hundred quids worth of speaker cables Is there no end to this madness???
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Please, I didn't mean to say main dealers are 'stealers' at all, but knowing the very slow business many of them are doing (and a few of our favourites here couldn't really make a good living out of it nowadays unless they did it from home and mainly online...), I do understand that they need the huge markups to help make up for lack of business. HOWEVER, we at AOS are truly blessed with the likes of Mark Grant, who doesn't rip off on the HD1000. The HD1500 is the price the original HD1000's were IIRC and the only thing I question is the huge price of the 2000's - all for a set of wanky phono plugs that may well be bettered by the new Eichman designed ones at £40 a set - Hmmm...

Here's the above being typed by a twonk who is seriously considering two hundred quids worth of speaker cables Is there no end to this madness???
    You still need to remove your remarks about profit margins as they are in-correct and tbh its a bit out of order quoting any sort of figures in public when you have no real idea about it?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast