+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Esco paratrace retip

I'm John.

Default Esco paratrace retip

My Benz Micro Ace is getting to the point where it needs a new stylus.
    I like the Ace and am quite happy to stick with it, but at the trade-in price offered by Esco, an upgrade to the Benz wood seems quite an attractive proposition.

My question is this. Given that (apparently) the only difference between the Ace and the wood is the body material, would I actually get better performance at a lower price by having the Ace re-tipped with an Esco paratrace diamond rather than going for the Wood? Would the "better"(?) paratrace tip be a significant performance upgrade for the Ace?

Anyone have any thoughts or before/after experiences with a paratrace retip?

cheers
    john

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi John,

Why not have a chat with Dom, from NWA? See here: http://www.northwestanalogue.com/

He's an expert on such matters, and so would be sure to give you some good advice, as well as perhaps carrying out the job just as well (and perhaps quicker) than Esco...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neal.

I had partrace fitted to my Kontrapunkt B by ESCo, they did a sterling job and the KB sounds as good as it did from new, it's a good stylus. The downside; communication was not too great and I was without it for about 4 months...

You can try Dom / Natalie they will give you some impartial advise but last time I spoke to them there was at least a three month turn around, alternatively try Goldring, just had a 103D rebuilt by them, it sounds fantastic and it only took just under three weeks....and they where besy apparently.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Deleted.

I've had a couple of Paratrace tips and a friend has had three or four. The problem with ESCo is that they have a huge backlog - the last time I dealt with them in took four months to get my cartridge back. I would also say that I am not convinced the Paratrace has as long a life as it could have. The last time I had one of my cartridges re-tipped I sent it to Goldring who fitted a Geiger S stylus - this time it took less than a week to get my cartridge back and I have also found the Geiger S tip to be significantly kinder to surface noise than the Paratrace was (the cost was exactly the same as other companies that offer similar).
    Account Deleted

I'm stu.

Another shout for goldring.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I've had a couple of Paratrace tips and a friend has had three or four. The problem with ESCo is that they have a huge backlog - the last time I dealt with them in took four months to get my cartridge back. I would also say that I am not convinced the Paratrace has as long a life as it could have. The last time I had one of my cartridges re-tipped I sent it to Goldring who fitted a Geiger S stylus - this time it took less than a week to get my cartridge back and I have also found the Geiger S tip to be significantly kinder to surface noise than the Paratrace was (the cost was exactly the same as other companies that offer similar).
    You may be correct here. My Kontrapunkt B has been re-tipped twice by ESCo, after the first Paratrace re-tip suffered from significant wear rather more quickly than the original Ortofon tip.

To the OP - I think I'm correct in saying that the Benz Wood is based on the Glider rather than the Ace, so it is does represent a step up in specification from the Ace. I bought a Wood SL on the ESCo Benz trade-in programme and it's a lovely thing, very easy to recommend.

I'm Simon.

Another shout for Gold ring, you really do want this work carried out by someone trained in the art by several different manufacturers, after all would you prefer a dealership car service or a backstreet garage service if they were the same price?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Hugo.

It's useful to read so many recommendations for Goldring, but they would not touch my Kontrapunkt B, which ended up going back to ESCo. Maybe this is because of the ruby cantilever?

I'm Deleted.

Perhaps - seems a bit odd though as they fitted a ruby cantilever for me.
    Account Deleted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Another shout for Gold ring, you really do want this work carried out by someone trained in the art by several different manufacturers, after all would you prefer a dealership car service or a backstreet garage service if they were the same price?
    That depends on how good the mechanic is (and what relevant experience he has) in the backstreet garage, compared with whoever's been allocated to carry out the service at the dealership...

I have a very good "backstreet garage" that I wholly entrust with my Mercedes, where the level of expertise is excellent and every bit as good as (or if not better) than that at the dealership, and where Mercedes parts are always used, but where a service costs me much less.

I like 'win-wins'!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast