+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gromit's bake-off-o-matic sun 16th March

I'm Mike.

Default Phono Stages & Shostakovich

GROMIT

Very interesting comparisons, but I'm a little confused.

As you've got a Dorian (and I have a Helikon), I'm not sure why you're trialling these three (I believe, quite dissimilar) units.

The Puresound requires a matching transformer, I believe, before it can be used with a low-output m.c. (and with a healthy 0.5mv output, why bother?)

The Dynavector, I thought, was an active stage in its own right; with p/supply, and no trans. needed.

What is the NVA ? A stand-alone, powered active stage or like the puresound? If the former, how many permutations (if any) does it have for the differing resistance and capacitance values that different cartridges interface with?

If I move from my Lyra to Koetsu, I'll need to seriously consider this aspect,
    though the new Naim phono stage seems to address these issues.

BTW, I heard a Shostakovich symphony (I think) on Classic FM recently, and noted 'festive' or something similar being mentioned, but can only find reference to a Festive Overture in my Penguin Guide. I don't think I have any Shost., and liked what I heard. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Reed; 23-03-2008 at 13:48. Reason: typographical misalignment

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    GROMIT

Very interesting comparisons, but I'm a little confused.

As you've got a Dorian (and I have a Helikon), I'm not sure why you're trialling these three (I believe, quite dissimilar) units.

The Puresound requires a matching transformer, I believe, before it can be used with a low-output m.c. (and with a healthy 0.5mv output, why bother?)

The Dynavector, I thought, was an active stage in its own right; with p/supply, and no trans. needed.

What is the NVA ? A stand-alone, powered active stage or like the puresound? If the former, how many permutations (if any) does it have for the differing resistance and capacitance values that different cartridges interface with?
    Hi Mike - that these phono stages are very different is the very reason why I've been doing a bit of fiddling. The P10 has to use a step-up; the Lyra's output is still way too low to let it work properly, anbd I believe an impedence-matched step-up is the best way of letting it do its best.

The NVA is a fully active stage with a large toroidal psu in a separate box. Works very well in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    BTW, I heard a Shostakovich symphony (I think) on Classic FM recently, and noted 'festive' or something similar being mentioned, but can only find reference to a Festive Overture in my Penguin Guide. I don't think I have any Shost., and liked what I heard. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mike
    If it was Classic FM I very much doubt they'd be playing a Shostakovich symphony - faaaaar too adventurous

Seriously, you'll most likely have heard the Festive Overture; a very popular and 'tuneful' bit of Dimitri's finest. 'Feel good' music.

Want to get into some Shostakovich? Try these...

10th Sym - especially the 2nd movement. Terrifying, gripping stuff; possibly my favourite movement of any Shostakovich symphony. Feindish woodwind parts.
    5th Sym (perhaps the most popular along with the 7th). Slow movement is especially beautiful - cold, stark, like a Russian winter.

Also try...

24 Preludes and Fugues (piano).
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Mike.

Thanks for that.

Glad to hear the NVA (your preferred option, I feel) is a fully power-supplied active stage. Don't know what its verstility is with impedance etc. matching; maybe it's just internally fixed for a specific parameter.

My friend rubbishes Classic FM (and also on sound quality grounds; his signal's not as strong as mine!). You'd be surprised what weird 'classical' music they play; more esoteric that Radio 3 sometimes , but not often.

The ads are a pain, but one psychologically attunes (or detunes, I should say) to this. You may be right about the Festive Ov., and thanks for the other suggestions; must get onto E-bay and see what's going!

Regards,

Mike (p.s. Where are you going after the Dorian? After Clavis and Helikon, I feel like a change, but since I took it off for a good clean it sounds fantastic so I won't rush)

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post

Mike (p.s. Where are you going after the Dorian? After Clavis and Helikon, I feel like a change, but since I took it off for a good clean it sounds fantastic so I won't rush)
    After the Dorian? I'm not sure I want to change it tbh - it matches the Spacearm very well - the S'arm's slightly soft yet wondefully colourful and spacious (typical unipivot) presentation is countered by the Dorian's speed and excellent dynamics to produce a very satisfying, musical sound. It just seems to get on with the job of reproducing whatever's asked of it.

As to the NVA stage I believe Richard will match with the cartridge of your choice.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12